3D Blu-Ray

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Nonsanity

3D Blu-Ray

Post by Nonsanity »

As a new owner of a 3D TV, I'm looking to convert the 3D Blu-Ray discs I'm getting for insertion into my HD-based video jukebox... With the 3D intact.

So far, no love. I can rip and convert Alice in Wonderland, but it comes out 2D - No side-by-side, no interleaved, no alternate frames... Even the preview shows a normal frame, just as the output ends up.

Has anyone tried anything with this 3D movie? (Or others.) I'm still changing settings, trying different things, but if someone has an answer...

~ Nonsanity
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: 3D Blu-Ray

Post by JohnAStebbins »

3D requires special encoding. None of HandBrake's encoders support this.
Nonsanity

Re: 3D Blu-Ray

Post by Nonsanity »

Yes. Some further reading shows that the 3D on Blu-Ray discs is stored as a full encode of one side (left, usually) along with a difference file that lets the decoder build the other side form the first. (That's why to non-3d-aware hardware or software, like Handbrake, it looks like a normal 2D movie.) Then to support most 3D TVs, the the two are squished 50% horizontally to put both into one frame.

Unfortunately, the only tools out there that do this are for Windows, not Mac or Linux. I'd rather put the computers that are part of my video system to do the conversion, but dusting off the Winbox may be necessary in this case.

Here's hoping these features come to Handbrake before too long. I hate having to swap physical discs just to change movies. Ick. It's so... 90's!

~ Nonsanity