Different subtitle, different chapters.

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
borzy

Different subtitle, different chapters.

Post by borzy »

I was ripping my anime DVD today and came across a slight annoyance.

I have this pet peeve with watching Japanese anime in dubbed English, so I always have them in Japanese audio with subtitles. The only thing that was annoying as I was transferring today was this: the ending credits, which has a Japanese song, comes up with subtitles for the song lyrics. I don't particularly care for the song lyrics, and I think they actually aesthetically ruin the ending credits, which I always quite liked.

I am particularly talking about Samurai Champloo if anyone is wondering.

So anyway, the Handbrake rip for the DVD comes up dividing the open credit, the show, and ending credits into separated chapters. I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off burn in subtitles for specific chapters. I was gathering the answer to be "no" because I can't seem to find it anywhere in the FAQ.

Anyway any ideas / help would be great.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Re: Different subtitle, different chapters.

Post by thompson »

borzy wrote:I was ripping my anime DVD today and came across a slight annoyance.

I have this pet peeve with watching Japanese anime in dubbed English, so I always have them in Japanese audio with subtitles. The only thing that was annoying as I was transferring today was this: the ending credits, which has a Japanese song, comes up with subtitles for the song lyrics. I don't particularly care for the song lyrics, and I think they actually aesthetically ruin the ending credits, which I always quite liked.

I am particularly talking about Samurai Champloo if anyone is wondering.

So anyway, the Handbrake rip for the DVD comes up dividing the open credit, the show, and ending credits into separated chapters. I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off burn in subtitles for specific chapters. I was gathering the answer to be "no" because I can't seem to find it anywhere in the FAQ.

Anyway any ideas / help would be great.
You would have do two encodes: one for the main part of the show, one for the credits (with the subtitles off), and then merge them using something like mkvmerge.
Savannah

Re: Different subtitle, different chapters.

Post by Savannah »

Try DVDSubEdit. http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/ You can set unwanted subtitles to be completely transparent. Worked great when I did my DVD of French Kiss which didn't have forced subs. I sucessfully removed all of the subs for English speaking lines, leaving the French.