iTunes 7.3 Works with 64-bit movies.

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
OSMacintosh
Novice

iTunes 7.3 Works with 64-bit movies.

Post by OSMacintosh »

Hello,

If this has already been documented my applogizes... but I upgraded my iTunes to 7.3 yesterday. And I found these changes.

Notice now that .Mov's can now add artwork

64-bit Movies can now play with Chapters, and Artwork can now be added!
(Tested using Changeset 518, over 4GB mod. and using H.264 with 6 channel sound, and 98% constant quality (CRF).)

Also I noticed, that if you play movies that are 64-bit they play better, and show up nicer in iTunes...!

I hope this helps in development!

and for those of you who want movies that are over 4GB I recommend changeset 518 been using it for weeks with these settings:

H.264
Anaphormic: ON
Audio: AAC (384 kbps) 6 channel sound, and dolby pro logic II - 160 kbps AAC.
Chapters: On
Constant Quality (CRF): 98%

Now these movies which range to about 2- 15 GB, now work perfectly in iTunes. You can now use the Chapter markers which before didn't work with movies that were 64-bit, and now you can add artwork to thse films.

Enjoy,

-AJH
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Wow, thanks for the Heads-up - Now I can start encoding all those DVDs ;)
OSMacintosh
Novice

Post by OSMacintosh »

Not a problem I was pretty excited myself... I am just happy I decided to go lossless a while ago (or near lossless I should say lol audio and it being 98% lol)... but anyways I posted them up twice both in general and dev. didn't know that was a bad thing to do. Thought it would help spread the news and help with Dev. and slow down on some of the requests now that Apple did the job for us.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

I just noticed that you can't add a cover to a non 64Bit Movie with 5.1 AAc. Damn it, now I have to re-encode catch me if you can hmpf.

Or is there anyway to convert it to a 64Bi Movie?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

realityking wrote:I just noticed that you can't add a cover to a non 64Bit Movie with 5.1 AAc. Damn it, now I have to re-encode catch me if you can hmpf.

Or is there anyway to convert it to a 64Bi Movie?

Umm...Yes you can. I stated such in the Support forum already. 90% of my encodes have 6ch audio and all have Artwork now...And none of them are "64bit."
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

So how did you do it? If I drag the Artwork in the cover section the still out of the video is deleted (now ist shows up completely white in Cover Flow) but there is no Artwork.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Delete the old...Copy & Paste the new.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Still doesn't work for me :?
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

Why would you want anything bigger than an 8.6 GB movie as that is as big as a DVD-9 will go? Seems pointless to make it bigger than the source...
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

rdbendixen wrote:Why would you want anything bigger than an 8.6 GB movie as that is as big as a DVD-9 will go? Seems pointless to make it bigger than the source...
Not pointless - insane more like it.

Seriously guys, I can go on and on about the theory behind H.264 and its compression levels. Anything over 70%-80% is absolutely a waste with MPEG-2 source. This level with H.264 simply does not exist with MPEG-2 and you'd only be bloating the .mp4 file at that level with aymptotically microscopic quality gains, yet never reaching the "perfect" zone, even at 100%.

You are encoding from MPEG-2 source, not raw uncompressed video where that CRF level would be useful.

I believe, that if you need a quality level above 65% with CRF, then just stick with the DvD instead. Why do you need it in iTunes? It wouldn't work on iPod, and maybe stutter on @Tv anyway.

Last I heard, DvD players are not expensive and DvDs still have wide support everywhere, including the computer that has iTunes. Save yourselves the mega encoding and processor times. Seriously.
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Re: iTunes 7.3 Works with 64-bit movies.

Post by bdkennedy1 »

I thought I knew everything, but how the heck do you create a 64-bit movie?
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Only possible in he current svn branch, compile it yourself or wait for the next beta.
zen649

Post by zen649 »

PuzZLeR wrote:
rdbendixen wrote:Why would you want anything bigger than an 8.6 GB movie as that is as big as a DVD-9 will go? Seems pointless to make it bigger than the source...
Not pointless - insane more like it.

Seriously guys, I can go on and on about the theory behind H.264 and its compression levels. Anything over 70%-80% is absolutely a waste with MPEG-2 source. This level with H.264 simply does not exist with MPEG-2 and you'd only be bloating the .mp4 file at that level with aymptotically microscopic quality gains, yet never reaching the "perfect" zone, even at 100%.

You are encoding from MPEG-2 source, not raw uncompressed video where that CRF level would be useful.

I believe, that if you need a quality level above 65% with CRF, then just stick with the DvD instead. Why do you need it in iTunes? It wouldn't work on iPod, and maybe stutter on @Tv anyway.

Last I heard, DvD players are not expensive and DvDs still have wide support everywhere, including the computer that has iTunes. Save yourselves the mega encoding and processor times. Seriously.
I am always annoyed when some users get irritate at other users who use handbrake for their own reasons. I encode DVD's for the convenience of of having all my movies available in FrontRow at the very best quality on my bigscreen tv. Yes I know the best quality from a DVD is a DVD but I am doing for the encoding for convenience. Having all my movies (including all my home/family movies) in one place with one click is one of the great things this new technology can do. I also have instant access to my music, pictures..... There are other programs that will let you do this but I have chosen this method. Why is this a problem? Compression used to be a much bigger deal when HD space was more limited and expensive. now you can get HD for less than .30/GB. That is incredible cheap and affordable. If you would like to use HB the way you want then do it. Let us use HB for our purposes. Compression is not the only reason to use this great software.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

@zen649

Since it accepts MPEG-2 VOB source primarily, yes, HandBrake's major function *IS* compression.

FrontRow does accept DvDs from your player, and I know that iTunes on Windows (I’m on Windows), with plugins, fully accepts MPEG-2 files. I don’t have a Mac, but I would bet that FrontRow would also accept a disc image, VIDEO_TS folder, or a lossless converted MPEG-2 file of the orginal DvD - all conveniently on your hard drive(s). None require any compression, have the full quality, are quick to convert and have the exact same file size without bloating it.

I don't have FrontRow, so I don't know how important it is to convert to .mp4 to view this content on there.

But even so, my main point was that anything over HB’s 70%-80% doesn’t really improve the quality much at all other than maybe .01%, yet bloats the file tremendously – and uselessly. Really. No exaggeration.

And if I appeared "irate", it's because of WRONG information. 100% on HB is NOT “100% of the original quality” and 75% on HB is not “75% of the original quality”. Actually 75% on HB is more like 98%-99% of the original quality. Really. Why double, triple and quadruple the size for 0.1% more quality? That’s why I called it INSANE.

I was suggesting that there are BETTER solutions. No, not opinion – FACT!

However, if you really don't mind spending mega hours encoding to H.264 for having astronomically huge files and a quality loss AT ANY RATE, then please, don't let me stop you...
zen649

Post by zen649 »

@ PuzZleR

I think everyone here appreciates your comments. You seem to know a lot about h.264 and video in general(no I am not being a smart [Censored]).

FrontRow does not allow playback of Video_TS folder with running an applescript hack. I have tried it and found it buggy. I have tried MediaCentral and all the other DVD launching playing but nothing has come close to the convenience of having all my movies, ripped to target size 4GB, palyed through FrontRow. It does not take a long time at all(compared to some of the presets that are in the HB app). The aspect of using this method is that it always works. I never have to go back and encode a movie again.

While you might be saving space I don't thinik you save anytime by using more compression(more compression=more encode time from what I have found). HB has been a great tool for what I use it for. The only bad thing about it is they keep adding more features which makes me want to encode my movies all over again!!

I don't use CQ BTW.

Also my comments were not directed to you only. There a lot of more advance uses on this forum that seem to think there way is THE WAY to use HB.

Finally I would think that with hard drive space cost coming down all the time that compression for playing on a PC is that important. If the encode times take longer you might be spending more $ in electricity while encoding then you would have spent on an extra GB of storage(this excludes use on iPod and other smaller paly back devices)
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

@zen649:

I don't have a Mac currently so I'm a bit unfamiliar with some of its features. Looking into one for my next computer purchase. :D

Yes, HandBrake is an awesome app that I'd pay $ for, but I seriously think that its devs may need to change the CRF percentage slider to the 1-51 quantizer scheme of x264, which it really is from. I personally love the % thing, and I'm very familiar with what it all means, but I notice many here don't understand the translation. Just like earlier in this thread where 98% at HB was thought to be "nearly lossless" at 98% of the original... not true.

Yes, hard drive space is dirt cheap today. Can't wait to pick up a few TB drives real soon. That will keep me covered for a few weeks...:-D...at least...

So yes, tiny-tiny-compressed file sizes are not that important any more and neither are exact bitrates to "fit" either. But seriously, even with these HUGE drives coming out, I seriously believe that if you can get 98% of the quality at 65%-70% of the file size of the original, I still think it's not efficient to get 98.2% of the quality at 500% of the original size... especially when you don't notice this extra 0.2% anyway, and especially when many here actually believe what happened was that they raised the quality from 80% to 100%... this is where it's gotta be cleared a bit... :roll:

Then again, this topic was about 64 bit movies on a Mac, which I have nothing to contribute to ATM. My apologies for hijacking it for a few posts...

Ladies and gentlemen, I leave you now to return to your regularly scheduled program...:-D