Looking for a new device for playback

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mwr415

Looking for a new device for playback

Post by mwr415 »

Im currently using my playstaion 3, but since the hdd is fat32 i have to yield to the 4gb limit. I was hoping you guys could tell me what you use and if your happy with it. Or at least point me towards something. I'm looking for a device that supports full 1080 and DTS, also i want to have an interface where i can add icons to the video files. Preferably i would like it to have an internal hdd of at least 1tb.

I have been looking at the new iomega screenplay but cant find any useful information about it. Anyone using it?
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Re: Looking for a new device for playback

Post by mkelley »

I'm still a big fan of the Western Digital Live units. I have three or four of them and they play all my stuff superbly (DTS and HD in the MKV container, of course).

Rock solid and cheap (particularly if you don't need the "Live" portion -- if you just want to stream video and not connect with any online services such as Netflix you can just get the "plain" version) they have played stuff for me on all our HD TVs that is indistinguishable from the original blu-rays.
pringles

Post by pringles »

Popcorn Hour is good device, they offer great customer support too.
see: networkedmediatank.com
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

I agree with mkelley. Western Digital units are the Barack Obama of the media player world. "YES WE CAN!" is the answer to every media file I've thrown at it. FLAC, MKV, whatever and however.

Just remember to get the firmware updates for the Western Digital players because WD keeps adding new fixes and features for it.

Also, just say "No" to AppleTV junk. Half of the postings on this forum are about how AppleTV won't play this or that. Go WDTV!
match
Enlightened

Post by match »

If you have a fast enough computer, I would stick with your ps3 and use a program called, ps3mediaserver (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/), to stream from you p.c. to your t.v. via the ps3. It supports just about any type of media file that you can throw at it. It can even stream, .iso files, vob folders, etc. It supports full 1080p and the DTS you require. It also supports auto-generated thumbnails, subtitles, jumping ahead to whatever time spot you want, etc. It's very configurable...many options. And you don't have to install any other software, libraries, etc. It's just "plug and play" so to speak. But you do pretty much need a wired network to use it...especially if you are going to do 1080. Wireless streaming just doesn't have enough bandwidth, nor is it stable enough for hi-def streaming. If you can't run a wire from your router to your ps3, you can always get the powerline adapters...that's what I use, and it works great...just like a wired connection. I have two eSata (soon to be replaced by usb 3.0) "toaster" hard drive docks connected to my p.c. where I store all of my movies and t.v. show rips on 2 x 2tb drives. When I fill up those drives, it's simple to just pop a different hard drive into the toaster. It's been my setup for a while and I couldn't be happier.
pringles

Post by pringles »

PC with powerline adapters (at least 2) and PS3 all together use a lot more electricity than just WDTV (+/- 8 Watt) or Popcorn Hour (+/- 20 Watt).
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I have WDTV Live, and like it both for locally stored HD and Playon ($5/mo.).
Even got it streaming well over wireless by putting a 300Mbs router in the same room.
A friend of mine, a professional editor, loves his Roku, but it doesn't use Playon.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

I am waiting for a few more reviews of the WDTV Live Hub to see how it scrubs up and also availability in Oz.
mwr415

Post by mwr415 »

Thanks for all the help, Now im torn between the WD TV Live Hub and the Popcorn Hour Devices. I researched them briefly yesterday, I will look more into them today.

Another question ive also been looking into a network pc or even networking a device, My question for this is, will there be a quality loss if 2 or 3 tvs are accessing it at the same time?

Thanks again for the help!
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

I can stream from all 4 of my Live units (even with different movies) at the same time without any issues. However, note that if you are streaming HD data that isn't compressed well over a wireless network you can have issues (I ended up wiring most of my units and have never regretted it).

I use an NAS for all my playback -- 3TB and so far I haven't filled it (even though most of my stuff is Handbraked blu-ray). When it's on (and my Live units) it takes less energy than a 30 watt light bulb.