Encoding for PS3 incl. Multichannel-Audio - Best setting ??

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
beckenbauer

Encoding for PS3 incl. Multichannel-Audio - Best setting ??

Post by beckenbauer »

Hi guys,

i´m trying to encode my movie-library for playback with my ps3 from an external Hard-Drive.
my preferred codec is , of-course h264.
another important point is that i want to preserve the multichannel-audio-tracks from my sources.
so i tried to encode with handbrake with varous settings. The files play well on my mac , but the ps3 won´t play the files and just says "incompatible file" or something like that. when i watch the information about the file , the ps3 recognizes the video-codec correctly but can´t recognize the audio-track....

has someone working handbrake settings for encoding for ps3 in h264 AND with multichannel-audio ?

thanx in advance !!

daniel
carbonell2

Post by carbonell2 »

dude...there is a PS3 preset in handbrake!
beckenbauer

Post by beckenbauer »

yes...i know. but the ps3-preset uses by default audio-downmix to ProLogic2. This is not a discrete Multichannel-Audio-Format and means a real loss in audio-quality compared to the AC3 or DTS-Source.

But you are right : if i use this preset , i *can* use the files on the ps3.
But i want to have better audio.... and when i choose 6-Channel-Discrete (which in fact IS much better than ProLogic2) the files will not play on the ps3.

So my question is how to get real discrete multichannel audio AND h264-Video-files which will play on the ps3... ?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

beckenbauer wrote:So my question is how to get real discrete multichannel audio AND h264-Video-files which will play on the ps3... ?
Well, if it was possible with HandBrake, don't you think we'd have it in the preset?

Unless there's an open source AVCHD muxing library already, and until someone submits a patch to control that hypothetical library, or unless Sony changes the allowed formats, this is not a possibility.
kenliles

Post by kenliles »

jbrjake wrote:
beckenbauer wrote:So my question is how to get real discrete multichannel audio AND h264-Video-files which will play on the ps3... ?
Well, if it was possible with HandBrake, don't you think we'd have it in the preset?
You guys have done a great job with Handbrake as many have noted; For the rest of us who are enamored by your prowess though; we cannot know or assume that all things possible are already in Handbrake. If we knew enough to know this, we wouldn't have any questions to ask; In fact, we'd know enough to have coded it ourselves...

I enjoy the forum, but if this gets me ousted, that's OK - I'd be too afraid to ask any questions anyway.. :)

ken
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Search, Search, Search

That will almost always provide you with an answer. Please use it.

We have no problems with folk asking questions. We just don't like folk not searching first.

PS3 audio has been discussed a few times before.

You can see what settings the presets use. If they don't have something enabled there is probably a good reason for it. e.g Not being compatible.

Anyway, ya get the idea. Search. If ya can't find what your looking for in search, do a quick checkup on what the product actually supports. Should be listed on the homepage.

A little research goes along way.
kenliles

Post by kenliles »

sr55 wrote:Search, Search, Search

That will almost always provide you with an answer. Please use it.

We have no problems with folk asking questions. We just don't like folk not searching first.

PS3 audio has been discussed a few times before.

You can see what settings the presets use. If they don't have something enabled there is probably a good reason for it. e.g Not being compatible.

Anyway, ya get the idea. Search. If ya can't find what your looking for in search, do a quick checkup on what the product actually supports. Should be listed on the homepage.

A little research goes along way.

ahhh - that's more like it!! Search is always a good first step; Good response and well said...

thanks
ken