Constant Quality recommendation for Simpson's series?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
JSW

Constant Quality recommendation for Simpson's series?

Post by JSW »

Hi,

I'm getting ready to tackle my Simpsons box sets, and I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a Constant Quality setting? I plan to use the High Profile preset, but tweak the quality a little. I've used High Profile with a Constant Quality of 20 for non-animated TV shows and been happy with it, but this is my first shot at TV animation.

I've searched through a lot of posts about animation settings (a lot of Family Guy), and it seems like each show needs a little different setting. When I tested a Simpsons episode at a Constant Quality of 20, the file size is almost as large as a regular 45 minute TV show with the same settings. I would think I could get away with a little less quality for the Simpsons and not notice it.

I've ran a few tests on Season One, anywhere from a quality of 20 down to 30. I can definitely tell a difference in the upper 20's to 30, but not much in the low 20's. I've been trying to compare various scenes on my 46" TV, but I find it kind of hard to compare one to the other that way; perhaps I should run them side by side on my 20" dual monitors. Season One may not be the best test either as I think the animation was more crude the first few seasons.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice from anyone that's been down this path before. Thanks!
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Constant Quality recommendation for Simpson's series?

Post by TedJ »

Due to the age of the material, you may want to drop RF to around 23 and apply a weak to medium denoise... I do this with some of my older TV boxsets and am quite pleased with the results.
JSW

Post by JSW »

TedJ wrote:Due to the age of the material, you may want to drop RF to around 23 and apply a weak to medium denoise... I do this with some of my older TV boxsets and am quite pleased with the results.
I'll give those settings a try. Would they apply to regular (non-animated) shows as well? I'm also converting my X-Files collection.

Thanks again!
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

I just did the seasons 1 through 13 of the Simpsons with these settings:

Code: Select all

-f mp4 -X 720 --loose-anamorphic --detelecine --decomb -e x264 -q 22 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R 48 -B 160 -D 1.5 -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subq=6 -v 1
Largest file size was 328MB. Smallest was 140MB. Average file size was about 190MB. The trend seemed to be that the early seasons (S1-5) were larger file sizes and later seasons were smaller (probably due to quality of animation/artifacts increasing file sizes of old seasons).
kiran_mk2
Novice

Post by kiran_mk2 »

I tend to use 22-23 for source material like this. For simple animation, even 24-25 may be ok. I try and aim for under 200 MB / episode with the odd episode higher and the odd episode lower.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

ClunkClunk wrote:I just did the seasons 1 through 13 of the Simpsons with these settings:

Code: Select all

-f mp4 -X 720 --loose-anamorphic --detelecine --decomb -e x264 -q 22 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R 48 -B 160 -D 1.5 -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subq=6 -v 1
Largest file size was 328MB. Smallest was 140MB. Average file size was about 190MB. The trend seemed to be that the early seasons (S1-5) were larger file sizes and later seasons were smaller (probably due to quality of animation/artifacts increasing file sizes of old seasons).
I'm finally sitting down to rip all of mine (also happens to be 1-13, though I'm skipping 1 and 2 since I dislike them) and looking for the best settings. I just used the "universal" preset with decomb/de-telescine turned on but some of the episodes are looking pretty interlaced still. So I'm trying to dial in the perfect settings.

These look good, but I am not exactly sure how/where I input those in the GUI.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?