Help making 1.78 and 2.35 videos look right on iPod

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Strongoak

Help making 1.78 and 2.35 videos look right on iPod

Post by Strongoak »

I want to crop some of the sides off to remove the black bars on the top and bottom of the videos as much as possible without making the characters look thin as rails. I was hoping someone had some suggested cropping settings they use to convert 1.78 and 2.35 to trim away the black bars to make the movie easier to watch on the iPod video 80g. Thanks
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Well just Crop until you see a traget resolution that has an ration of 4:3.
Strongoak

Post by Strongoak »

I have tried using math, even a java based website to tell me pixel ratios etc. Everytime I get the black bars off the video they show up on the iPod when vieiwing, everytime I try and trim away the left/right sides of the video with cropping to remove the black bars and enough video on the left/right sides to make the image full 640x480 on the screen of the iPod I get the skinny people stretched look. So far the movies I am trying are:
Braveheart WS, Titanic WS, AvP WS and Gladiator WS.

I only plan to view these on my iPod, because if I wanted to view them on the TV I would just pop in my DVDs of these movies.

BTW I am using the Windows version of Handbrake, the 4:3 movies turn out beautiful and I did get a very close AvP done, but the same settings dont work on the other titles mentioned above.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

What are the settings on your iPod (is Pan&Scan activated?)