Any difference between Eac3to and Handbrake DTS to AC3?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
TedC
Experienced

Any difference between Eac3to and Handbrake DTS to AC3?

Post by TedC »

Hi All.

I know that you all aren't involved with Eac3To - but I was curious if anyone might now the answer to this. Is there any differences between Handbrake's method of converting DTS to AC3 versus what's in EAC3TO?

I have no clue what EAC3to uses, but I guess handbrake uses the ffmpeg decoder when your options are set as
Source = DTS with Ac3 Passthrough (using a nightly build).

Thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Re: Any difference between Eac3to and Handbrake DTS to AC3?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake uses libdca to decode the DTS and FFmpeg to encode to AC3.

I have no idea of what DTS decoder eac3to uses, but IIRC it uses Aften (a fork of the FFmpeg AC3 encoder) for AC3 encoding.

If I am not mistaken, some of the Aften changes to the FFmpeg encoder were ported to FFmpeg not so long ago and should be available in the nightlies.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Yes, Justin Ruggles created the Aften fork and has been very active in ffmpeg lately improving the ffmpeg ac3 encoder.
gminnick

Post by gminnick »

I know this is an old thread, but I have recently looked at converting DTS to AC3 when using Handbrake just to have the ability to use MKV2VOB to make a compatible PS3 version should I ever have to play from a USB on PS3. For me MKV2VOB messes up with DTS audio. I have downloaded the nightly builds and they seem to do a good job converting. I was trying to see if the ffmpeg version is listed in any change log for the nightly builds or if there is a way to tell if the latest improvements mentioned in the last post above are included. Or if worrying about it even matters :).
TedC
Experienced

Post by TedC »

I have found it didn't matter - I can tell no difference between EAC3to and handbrake when converting from DTS to AC3. The entire ripping process is faster using Handbrake's conversion - so that's what I went with.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The current nightly build's AC3 encoder features all of Aften's improvements and more.