Files for both TV and Computer?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
philipjharrison

Files for both TV and Computer?

Post by philipjharrison »

Hi
This may be my second post or possibly my first as I thought I had posted but can't find it! I have used AnyDVD HD to rip some of my Blu Ray disks and then used Handbrake to convert these to .m4v files. These play perfectly on a computer but when streamed to my Pioneer Plasma (via Windows Home Server) they play but some are at the wrong size. Movies which were originally 16:9 are fine as they are the same size as the screen but 2.35:1 movies are stretched to fill the screen thus distorting the picture.

Is this because Handbrake is cropping the black bars top and bottom of the 2.35:1 movie and the TV then stretches the resultant file to fit the 16:9 screen? If that's correct can I assume that I can set up manual cropping not to crop the bars away? If that works, I then assume the file will not play properly on the computer as it will be a 2.35:1 picture including black bars top and bottom? If all that is correct, is there a way of creating a single 2.35:1 file that will play well on both computer and TV?

Thanks
Phil
Deleted User 11865

Re: Files for both TV and Computer?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

philipjharrison wrote:Is this because Handbrake is cropping the black bars top and bottom of the 2.35:1 movie and the TV then stretches the resultant file to fit the 16:9 screen?
HandBrake is cropping the blacks bars, but that's not the cause of the issue (any non-broken player will display it as 2.35:1 and add the letterboxing automatically). A likely issue is that you TV stupidly scales the 2.35:1 source to fill the 16:9 display without adding the letterboxing like it should.
philipjharrison wrote:If that's correct can I assume that I can set up manual cropping not to crop the bars away? If that works, I then assume the file will not play properly on the computer as it will be a 2.35:1 picture including black bars top and bottom?
No, a computer will play the output fine even if you don't crop. But files will be larger for the same quality or lower quality for the same size.
philipjharrison

Rodeo

Thanks for your reply. OK so my TV is stupid but I still have to resolve the issue. On further experimentation, I told Handbrake not to crop and the file now plays fine on the TV. As you said, it also plays correctly on a computer (correct aspect ratio) but shows the black bars top and bottom (which of course you do not notice if you play full screen). That and the larger file sizes I can live with as the number one objective is for them to play correctly on the TV and storage is cheap.

Thanks again
Phil
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

What sad excuse for a TV is so broken? I'm seriously asking, so that I can avoid ever buying that brand.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

thompson wrote:What sad excuse for a TV is so broken? I'm seriously asking, so that I can avoid ever buying that brand.
Based on the reports I've seen here, it's apparently not that uncommon; apparently some BD players are similarly broken, too.
philipjharrison

thompson wrote:What sad excuse for a TV is so broken? I'm seriously asking, so that I can avoid ever buying that brand.
Well you will have no chance - The Pioneer Kuro range, universally recognised as the best Plasma's ever made, certainly as far as picture quality is concerned, are no longer available. Pioneer no longer makes TVs.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

A little late joining this thread, but I presume you've investigated your TV's zoom options before doing anything else?
philipjharrison

TedJ wrote:A little late joining this thread, but I presume you've investigated your TV's zoom options before doing anything else?
Ted, Yes I did - even the "dot by dot" mode did not do it for me!