Ripping Speed and Time to Rip

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Crono

Ripping Speed and Time to Rip

Post by Crono »

Hey everyone,

I'm getting a video iPod and wanted some content. So I've been ripping my "Sports Night" DVDs using the iPod preset with an audio boost of 160 and an output of 320x240.

And it's taken me over 8 hours to rip a 3 hour disc.

Is this normal?

To be fair I'm using my G4 laptop because my other box is a PC and the HB for Windows doesn't work, LOL.

I'm just seeing what others get and if this is a normal thing.

Thanks!
--Brian
Lant
Novice

Post by Lant »

It's probably because you are using your G4 laptop, but what is your quality setting?
What didn't work when you tried the windows HB.
Crono

Post by Crono »

Lant,

The iPod preset does it at 1500.

Now I'm trying a constant quality rip at 100%...looks to be about the same speed per doing it the other way.

It's odd because when I was doing this yesterday with the old Handbrake (0.7.1) it was only taking 4 hours for a 3 hour disc, which I thought more normal.

And I don't know about the Windows one. I put the disc in and browse for a tile. Then Reading Disc Data comes up, press OK to continue. I press that and it goes to the main screen, set everything up and hit encode. It says it's going to encode it, then it pops up it's done, and nothing happens.

--Brian
Gee Man

Post by Gee Man »

I'm using the latest version on a 2 gHz G5 iMac and it takes about 6 hours for a 90 minute DVD that's already been through MTR. This isn't the norm? I'm ripping with the iPod Preset.
pbelmore

Post by pbelmore »

Crono wrote:The iPod preset does it at 1500.
If you're outputting to 320x240, that bit rate is overkill. Before HandBrake had presets, the rule of thumb was 400 kbps for the iPod (at 320x240), so try dropping it down and see if that speeds anything up. If you are truly watching these on your iPod (and not planning on hooking it up to a TV or watching them in iTunes) I would stick with 400.