Cannot get encoding for PS3 to work

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
gauche

Cannot get encoding for PS3 to work

Post by gauche »

Hi,

I'm running the Handbrake 0.9.5 GUI on Ubuntu 10.04. I'm trying to encode a 1080p movie I took with my Canon 500D camera such that it can be played back on PS3 (via my media software, ps3mediaserver).

For the life of me, I can't find any settings that work. I've tried:
  • Normal preset
    x264 with AAC
    x264 with AC3
    x264 with MP3
    x264 with AAC, constant bitrate (1500)
    x264 with AC3, constant bitrate (1500)
    x264 with MP3, constant bitrate (1500)
    MPEG-4 with AAC
    MPEG-4 with AC3
    MPEG-4 with MP3
None of them work on my PS3, all giving me:

The data type is not supported.
(800288BC)

If I copy the files onto a USB stick and attempt to view them via that, it just says "no titles". If I hit Triangle to see more information and then choose "display all" it lists all titles but all videos just say "Unsupported Data".

If I copy the files from the USB stick to the PS3 hard drive, I get the same "Unsupported Data" message.

All videos play fine on my laptop.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
rogue23
Enlightened

Re: Cannot get encoding for PS3 to work

Post by rogue23 »

You've been a member for 2 years and you don't know to post a log, or to use search?

HandBraking the PS3 (The PS3 Owners Thread)
gauche

Post by gauche »

rogue23 wrote:You've been a member for 2 years and you don't know to post a log, or to use search?

HandBraking the PS3 (The PS3 Owners Thread)
There's no need to be curt. I did search and found this thread, which says just use the Normal preset - the first thing I tried. And being a member does not imply active usage. If you'd care to look, you'd see I haven't posted since 2009, nor have I used Handbrake since then.

I will look through the link you've provided and see if it helps.

Thanks
gauche

Post by gauche »

OK - figured it out. For some reason my camera records movies at 1920x1088 rather than 1080. So once I cropped 4 pixels from the top and bottom, it worked. I won't pretend to understand it (or why there isn't a PS3 preset that figures this stuff out automatically) but I'm happy now.

I'm sure you would have spotted that had I posted a log. I'll try to remember next time ;)

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The height is 1088 to be mod 16.

There's no PS3 preset because none of the devs have one to support it.

Usually all the padding is on the bottom so you probably want to crop 8 off the bottom.
joethezombie
Experienced

Post by joethezombie »

I can confirm the PS3 chokes on any resolution greater than 1080. I'll add this valuable information to the PS3 Owners Thread. Thank you for your contribution.