Can you change the icon/thumbnail for final file?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
phnx911

Can you change the icon/thumbnail for final file?

Post by phnx911 »

I was wondering if there is any way to choose the icon/thumnail (whatever you call it) for a movie file before you put it into iTunes. When you add it and its just a photo of the first frame of the film or whatever you cannot easily tell what the movie is and I have small children that use the computer, iphones, and ipods to watch movies. It would be very helpful if I could download the cover art and add it manually. I am a novice in all of this so I'm not good at the terminology but I can get around the computer pretty well. I just started using handbrake yesterday and have only converted one of my DVDs so far. I am running Mac OSx 10.6.5. I also ripped the movie with Mac the ripper first (I hope that was right, it worked anyhow). Thanks for the help! :D

Phoenix
i69

Re: Can you change the icon/thumbnail for final file?

Post by i69 »

As far as I know, HandBrake can't do what you're asking (nor is it intended to). You want to add cover art to your video files in iTunes.

Google "how to add cover art to itunes" for many how-to guides (hint: manually adding cover art to video files is the same as manually adding to music files).

Hope that helps and best of luck!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Run your videos through subler post encode. Subler will automatically locate and download movie artwork and metadata using tagchimp.
phnx911

Post by phnx911 »

Thanks you for help! Subler looks great, but it crashes on me.

Fortunately, I found out that if all you want to do is add a jpeg to the file you can do it right in iTunes! For those who are interested, just select the file in iTunes, and hit apple+i (or Get Info from the Edit (?) menu). The last tab is Artwork. From there you can add any picture file you want to your movie (or your other media for that matter). I just downloaded movie poster art from the web and then added them to my movies!