HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
x166532x

Re: HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

Post by x166532x »

I encoded a movie with the new ATV setting (not ATV2) for my old ATV. Everything looked normal, but when I started the movie it played audio for about 1 second then froze. I rebooted my ATV and the same thing happened, but it also caused the ATV to reboot automatically.
The only addition I made to the new ATV preset was to set decomb to default.
The movie played fine on my iMac.

Any ideas.

I am recoding to see if I just had an anomaly.

* re-encode worked ? *
Last edited by x166532x on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If re-encoding doesn't fix it, start your own topic and provide an Activity Log.
2twisty

Post by 2twisty »

I know that the devs have confirmed that PGS subtitle support is on the radar now that BDROM is supported.

Any projected timeline for this support?

I use BluRIP now for my BDROM processing, since it functions much like Handbrake, but I like Handbrake's Features a whole lot more, and there's something to be said for "one ripper to rule them all."

I would be interested in testing the support if you need testers. I've got a fairly beefy machine devoted to processing. (6-core AMD)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

2twisty wrote:I know that the devs have confirmed that PGS subtitle support is on the radar now that BDROM is supported.

Any projected timeline for this support?
No.
2twisty

Post by 2twisty »

OK, thanks. This feature is really the only thing keeping me using BluRip. Once HB had PGS soft subtitle support, I'll be dropping BluRip.
scream_to_a_sigh

Post by scream_to_a_sigh »

Rodeo wrote:
scream_to_a_sigh wrote:Ok, so how can I use the codes that work encode it in the way I want?
Come on!

Code: Select all

Language 1 2-channel AAC
Language 1 AC3
Language 2 2-channel AAC
Language 2 AC3

I'll let you figure out the rest.
Excellent! Thank you Rodeo for all your advice. It's working like a charm! :D

All the best mate, Marcel.
scream_to_a_sigh

Just a quick question regarding the introduction of VOBSUBs: When selecting these in the subtitles tab to encode on with the ATV2 preset, will they be optional (turn on or off) when played with the ATV2?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Oh, FFS...

Two points for you to consider, scream.
  1. These topics have been covered already, ad infinitum. Please use the search function of this forum.
  2. This is the Handbrake 0.9.5 DISCUSSION thread. Technical support questions belong in the relevant forum for the port (Windows/Mac/Linux) being used, or in the Devices forum if the query relates to a specific hardware player.
Because I'm feeling particularly generous, I'll answer your question anyway. No, VOBSUBS won't work on the ATV2 unless you burn them into the video.
scream_to_a_sigh

No problem, thanks for your help. I'll use the search next time. Cheers mate! :D
iSAWaUFO
Novice

Post by iSAWaUFO »

I'm trying to figure out how to do point-to-point encoding. (MacOSx Leopard 64-bit HB 0.9.5)
Any guide for this?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

iSAWaUFO wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to do point-to-point encoding. (MacOSx Leopard 64-bit HB 0.9.5)
Any guide for this?
Choose Seconds or Frames from the dropdown instead of Chapters.
jkbc
Novice

Post by jkbc »

Thanks for pushing a major milestone. I remember thinking earlier in this week "hey, HandBrake didn't have a major release in 2010!" and here you are.

Get out of my head

Many thanks to all the developers and assistance provided by the community. Less of a thanks for giving me more of a reason to toast my processor!
Nephilimator

Post by Nephilimator »

Can DTS-MA or DD-HD be converted to straight AC3 5.1 using the newly added 'AC3' audio option or will these need to be converted before I feed the file to handbrake? More or less is the new AC3 encoder capable of converting DTS, DTS-MA, and DD-HD into AC3 5.1?
Last edited by Nephilimator on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Nephilimator wrote:Can DTS-MA or DD-HD be converted to straight AC3 5.1 or will these need to be converted before I feed the file to handbrake?
There's a bug in handling dts-ma/hd input from many containers. So if you are using MakeMkv to do your ripping, it will not work. But if you are ripping a BD with something like AnyDVD and then reading the BD structure directly or reading TS files, it will work if the dts-ma/hd has a regular dts core embedded in it. BD sources will always have this dts core. HandBrake can not currently decode dts-ma/hd.
Nephilimator

Post by Nephilimator »

JohnAStebbins wrote:
Nephilimator wrote:Can DTS-MA or DD-HD be converted to straight AC3 5.1 or will these need to be converted before I feed the file to handbrake?
There's a bug in handling dts-ma/hd input from many containers. So if you are using MakeMkv to do your ripping, it will not work. But if you are ripping a BD with something like AnyDVD and then reading the BD structure directly or reading TS files, it will work if the dts-ma/hd has a regular dts core embedded in it. BD sources will always have this dts core. HandBrake can not currently decode dts-ma/hd.
Thank you for the very quick reply! These will always be from BD sources so I think I should be set.

Edit: btw THANK YOU for this new version, it completely eliminates quite a bit of hassle for me in terms of audio and has completely eliminated one piece of 'middle ware' I previously needed now that Handbrake will just grab the core audio when fed a BR structure and convert it to AC3.
cpsim

Post by cpsim »

Zoolook wrote:Thanks guys, this is awesome as always.

One question. I have recently moved my encoding to Windows from Mac, my PC just has so much more grunt, but I've been unable to rip straight from DVD like I could on a Mac with VLC installed. How do most people approach this in Wndows? I'm on Win 7 64-bit and currently use DVD decrypter, but the workflow is clumsy.
i used dvdfab to rip the main movie to a directory.
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Post by tlindgren »

Zoolook wrote:One question. I have recently moved my encoding to Windows from Mac, my PC just has so much more grunt, but I've been unable to rip straight from DVD like I could on a Mac with VLC installed. How do most people approach this in Windows? I'm on Win 7 64-bit and currently use DVD decrypter, but the workflow is clumsy.
Actually, Handbrake for Windows can decode encrypted disks, just like Linux it just needs the right libdvdcss! This started working when they switched to building with MinGW and it has been discussed a couple of times on the board but for some reason it's not documented for Windows even though it is for Linux, it's probably because it's somewhat more complicated on Windows though since you can't get the OS to install it in a system directory for you... Like on the other platforms this doesn't work on ALL DVDs, but most do work.

For detailed instructions on how to do it read the following post: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... 670#p78021
My HandBrake 0.9.5 running on Windows XP says "libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access" in the log and so far has read the encrypted disks I've thrown at it, though the scan can be slow enough that you may want to use Title Specific Scan on some of them...

Also, for Windows there's at least three different on-the-fly decrypters where you don't need encryption support in HandBrake to read encrypted DVDs. DVD43 is free but is getting outdated, DVDFab PassKey has a free lite version which works on probably 99+% of DVDs and AnyDVD is the golden standard, if anything on any platform can handle it AnyDVD can but it does cost money.

There are also a number of different pre-rippers which rips to hard disk, DVD Decrypter used to be the old standard but development stopped after threats and it won't work on many new DVDs, there are others but I expect that a number of people use MakeMKV (free while in Beta) for both DVD and Blu-ray, even if it does pack everything in a mkv file instead of raw disk copy.
dmstar

Post by dmstar »

Thanks for this wonderful new update!

FYI,
Although i am using iP4 now, i still choose to encode videos as a iP3G setting to keep the file size down.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

dmstar wrote:Although i am using iP4 now, i still choose to encode videos as a iP3G setting to keep the file size down.
You'd be better served with the iPhone 4 preset and reducing the quality setting to hit your desired filesize.
dad2ways

Post by dad2ways »

I have a classic Apple TV and since I upgraded to 0.9.5 every newly encoded video causes my ATV to crash and burn. The screen goes black, you hear three to five seconds of audio, no video, and then it just locks up. I have a feeling that something was goofed up in pursuing the newer model because the same videos play on my iPad and my other Macs. I primarily encode videos for use in a master library for the ATV. If this is no longer going to be a viable option for legacy devices I am going to have to find another solution, plus I will have to apologize to the dozens of people I got hooked on handbrake.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Are you using a custom variant of the Apple TV preset? Say one that wouldn't have been updated with the built-in presets when you upgraded? All these questions and more would be answered by an activity log, which is why we keep asking for them!

The Mac GUI lead developer owns several 1st generation Apple TV's... I'm sure he wouldn't let a release go out without a working preset.
brigid

Post by brigid »

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2007
Everytime a begin the scan in a DVD, Handbrake never gets past the 'scanning new source' stage. The last version of handbrake (0.9.4) was able to do this is seconds. Any help would be much apprieciated.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Might try turning libdvdnav off in the options for that source. Some sources can trip it up.

Also, a reminder to everyone, please keep this thread for feedback and not support requests. Start a thread in the appropriate forum for support.
kwillers

Post by kwillers »

Such a great update now down to 2 steps to take a blu-ray disk to Apple TV (even when there is only a DTS track)

Now if we could eliminate step 1 - i.e makeMKV/MBRP I would be even happier :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake will never support the removal of copy protection.