HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
phred

Re: HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

Post by phred »

The Release Highlights says "* Drag / Drop Video onto Main Window to scan."

I had that working in 0.94 (drag and drop a ripped DVD folder with video_ts/ifo/vob-files for scan) but I cant get it to work now. Nothing happens at all.

What am I doing wrong (I'm running Win 7, 64 bit)

Edit: drag / drop works on my XP workstation but NOT on my Win 7 box.
Last edited by phred on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funlad

Post by Funlad »

Hi,

Many thanks for the new version - looking forward to trying it out properly!!

I have just been checking the settings - I have an old and a new Apple TV, and use HB for ripping for playback only on these devices.

I notice that the new Apple TV 2 default sets the framerate to 29.97 (NTSC Video.) I am based in the UK where PAL is the standard - should I adjust the default to (25 PAL) instead?

If the setting should be left as NTSC, should the framerate be adjusted to NTSC Film when ripping a movie as opposed to Video/Tv show?

Finally, will files ripped on the Apple TV 2 format play back on the old Apple TV ok?

Thanks for your help - sorry if they are obvious questions.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Funlad wrote: notice that the new Apple TV 2 default sets the framerate to 29.97 (NTSC Video.) I am based in the UK where PAL is the standard - should I adjust the default to (25 PAL) instead?

If the setting should be left as NTSC, should the framerate be adjusted to NTSC Film when ripping a movie as opposed to Video/Tv show?
The AppleTV 2 preset uses a new Handbrake feature known as Peak Framerate, which is essentially "same as source" but with a hard upper limit imposed. This is to ensure that HD encodes will work on the ATV2 as it is limited to 29.97 FPS at 720p. Short answer is that even for PAL sources leaving it as is should be fine.

Encodes for the ATV2 will not work on the ATV1.
Funlad

Post by Funlad »

Thanks Ted!
bgalizio

Post by bgalizio »

I understand that the Apple TV 2 preset allows for better HD video encodes than the Apple TV 1 preset. Are there any advantages for SD video encoding?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

bgalizio wrote:I understand that the Apple TV 2 preset allows for better HD video encodes than the Apple TV 1 preset. Are there any advantages for SD video encoding?
Smaller file sizes.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

bgalizio wrote:I understand that the Apple TV 2 preset allows for better HD video encodes than the Apple TV 1 preset. Are there any advantages for SD video encoding?
That's not the point. The AppleTV preset is as good as it gets for compatibility with the AppleTV 1. The AppleTV 2 preset targets the AppleTV 2, and is not compatible with the original AppleTV.
Funlad

Post by Funlad »

How come they wont play on Apple TV 1? I just tried it - audio plays ok but blank screen - then it crashes :(
Deleted User 11865

Funlad wrote:How come they wont play on Apple TV 1? I just tried it - audio plays ok but blank screen - then it crashes :(
It uses H.264 features which the AppleTV 1 doesn't support. The AppleTV 2 is a more capable device.
requieminadream

Post by requieminadream »

Can anyone tell me more about "Multiple instance support?"

I'm on a Core i5 Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM, how can I take advantage of what sounds like the ability to encode several videos at the same time? I'm using the 64bit version.
davidfstr
Enlightened

Post by davidfstr »

TimeMachine wrote:Just a question about VOBSUB subtitles in MP4.

Possible to have them soft ? Usefull on iPhone / iPad / iTunes ?
Soft VOBSUB subtitles (i.e. DVD subtitles) are now supported in MP4. However most players (i.e. iDevices, iTunes, QuickTime) do not recognize them. VLC does.
Deleted User 11865

requieminadream wrote:Can anyone tell me more about "Multiple instance support?"

I'm on a Core i5 Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM, how can I take advantage of what sounds like the ability to encode several videos at the same time? I'm using the 64bit version.
You need to launch HandBrake multiple times (you may have to duplicate the .app bundle).

That being said, multi-instance becomes interesting when you have more cores than x264 can use (with most settings, 6). 2 encodes will take about the same time to encode on your MBP, whether they are run in parallel or sequentially.
strongn2t

Post by strongn2t »

Thanks a lot guys really great work, much appreciated
windshear

Post by windshear »

Excellent update!
The only thing that really bugs me is the fugly icon..
No designer in here that can give a hand with the icon?
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

Not exactly on point for .9.5 but do any devs have blu-ray subtitles (PGS) on their to-do list?

(The relevance to this release is that some blu-ray structure support is included now, so it would be nice for subs to also be supported).
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

mkelley wrote:Not exactly on point for .9.5 but do any devs have blu-ray subtitles (PGS) on their to-do list?

(The relevance to this release is that some blu-ray structure support is included now, so it would be nice for subs to also be supported).
Yes.
kogyaru

Post by kogyaru »

TedJ wrote:Encodes for the ATV2 will not work on the ATV1.
Will encodes for the ATV1 work on the ATV2?

Sorry, had to be asked. I have an ATV1 and probably will get an ATV2, but the thought of reencoding all of my mp4s makes me faint.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

kogyaru wrote:
TedJ wrote:Encodes for the ATV2 will not work on the ATV1.
Will encodes for the ATV1 work on the ATV2?

Sorry, had to be asked. I have an ATV1 and probably will get an ATV2, but the thought of reencoding all of my mp4s makes me faint.
Yes
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

JohnAStebbins wrote:
mkelley wrote:Not exactly on point for .9.5 but do any devs have blu-ray subtitles (PGS) on their to-do list?

Yes.
Great!

(Then I could *finally* dump BDSup2Sub, TSMuxer and mkvmerge from my workflow).
gctwnl

Post by gctwnl »

Thanks for the update, developers!
davidfstr wrote:
TimeMachine wrote:Just a question about VOBSUB subtitles in MP4.

Possible to have them soft ? Usefull on iPhone / iPad / iTunes ?
Soft VOBSUB subtitles (i.e. DVD subtitles) are now supported in MP4. However most players (i.e. iDevices, iTunes, QuickTime) do not recognize them. VLC does.
I have been told that ATV2 does support soft subtitles (which can be turned on/off/selected). The way these are coded by HB are different from what ATV2 expects, hence still only burned in subtitles work. The question then of course is: how should these be encoded for iTunes/ATV2 to recognize them? Is this at all known or does Apple keep this a secret?

Note, I tried creating a m4v with the ATV2 setting with two audio tracks and two subtitle tracks (not burned in). But even VLC does not display the subtitles. It does recognize them being there, but selecting them in the menu does not display anything. Latest VLC and HB.
kogyaru

Post by kogyaru »

gctwnl wrote:I have been told that ATV2 does support soft subtitles (which can be turned on/off/selected). The way these are coded by HB are different from what ATV2 expects, hence still only burned in subtitles work. The question then of course is: how should these be encoded for iTunes/ATV2 to recognize them?
What worked for me with ATV1 is to, first of all, make sure the movie file ends with .m4v. Second, the soft subs should be in SRT format. Quicktime will render the subs in a manner similar to closed-captions, with an opaque background... Sometimes the subs have to be in US-ASCII format (or perhaps that's not true, but worth a try).

EDIT: Try just one sub track instead of two?
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

gctwnl wrote:how should these be encoded for iTunes/ATV2 to recognize them?
As actual text instead of mere pictures of text.

For help with achieving that, you need SubRip and (assuming you're on a Mac) some sort of Windows emulator or compatibility layer, if you don't already have one.
Deleted User 11865

Apple devices support MP4 TX3G subtitles. But they are text-based, and HandBrake can't convert bitmap (e.g. VOBSUB) subtitles to text subtitles (because it requires OCR, which is a PITA and would require a dedicated UI anyway).

To get soft subtitles to work on an Apple device, you need an NTSC DVD with a text Closed Captions track, or import an external SRT file.
david3

Post by david3 »

JohnAStebbins wrote:If you didn't have total failure, then you should just keep your recent encodes. All recent changes are bug fixes.
TedJ wrote:There was an x264 bump (svn3715) and a tweak to qpmin for playback under Quicktime (svn3708)... Unless either of these are a major concern your existing encodes should be good.
Thanks. So far I've just kept the old encodes from svn3705. I re-encoded one dvd so I'd have a file to compare svn3705 to 0.9.5. The resulting mkv file in 0.9.5 was 5KB larger than in svn3705, so at least for size it seems to be pretty close.
richerik

Post by richerik »

First a word of thanks. I have been "with" HandBrake throughout the 0.9.x versions and they keep getting better and better.

Question:

I have enjoyed the High Profile preset of 0.9.4 as, for me, it offers the right balance of file size, quality and compatibility on my various apple products. Can someone tell me if this preset has changed in 0.9.5 and, if so, how? (I checked the docs but could not find this info)

Thanks again.