AppleTV vs. AppleTV 2 (and BD encodes)

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
icfantv

AppleTV vs. AppleTV 2 (and BD encodes)

Post by icfantv »

--EDITED for typos--

It was my understanding that the ATV and ATV2 were essentially identically the same except a faster processor and no hard drive for the latter. I thought that the supported resolution was still 720p on both devices.

If this is the case, can someone please tell me why when I'm encoding a BD the output resolution on ATV preset is 960x400 but for the ATV2 preset is 1267x528? Will an encoding using the ATV2 preset not work on the ATV 1st gen?

I'd like to get the best output resolution I can and still have an enjoyable movie watching experience so I'd opt for the higher res if I can get it.

Thanks,

--adam
Last edited by icfantv on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Re: AppleTV vs. AppleTV 2 (and BD encodes)

Post by thompson »

The ATV2 is substantially more capable for playback than the ATV. The presets reflect that. You can use an ATV Preset encoded movie on the ATV2, but not an ATV2 preset on the ATV.
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

I'm confused. Apple's specs say they can handle the same resolution. Is there some facet (or a combination of several) of a BD encode that the 1st gen can't handle at a higher resolution? (e.g., fps)
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

dorito

Post by dorito »

icfantv wrote:I'm confused. Apple's specs say they can handle the same resolution. Is there some facet (or a combination of several) of a BD encode that the 1st gen can't handle at a higher resolution? (e.g., fps)
the new apple tv can playback 720p content at an a lot higher birate than the 1st...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

icfantv wrote:I'm confused. Apple's specs say they can handle the same resolution. Is there some facet (or a combination of several) of a BD encode that the 1st gen can't handle at a higher resolution? (e.g., fps)
You're not reading the specs carefully enough. AppleTV gen. 1 doesn't support 720p30, among other things. Plus, Apple's specs don't cover many of the AppleTV's limitations (no weightp or b-pyramid support, for example).
Last edited by Deleted User 11865 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

Wow. Such maturity. Thanks.
Jeggler

Post by Jeggler »

I noticed something else: that the ATV 2 preset selects NTSC 29.97 fps instead of 'same as source'. For the life of me I cannot see that changing a PAL disc to NTSC is going to improve anything - quite the reverse in fact. I have changed it back to 'same as source', but this will be a pain to redo every time. What is the thinking behind this change?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not changing it to NTSC. Notice the ***Peak Framerate*** checbox that's checked

If your content is 25fps, that's what you'll get out.
If your content is 60fps, it'll be limited to 29.97 in the output.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

More importantly for PAL users, if your source is 50fps, which the tv2 can't play, it will be converted to 30fps.
Jeggler

Post by Jeggler »

s55 wrote:It's not changing it to NTSC. Notice the ***Peak Framerate*** checbox that's checked
Thanks for the reassurance. But I cannot see a 'peak framerate' box anywhere!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Jeggler wrote:
s55 wrote:It's not changing it to NTSC. Notice the ***Peak Framerate*** checbox that's checked
Thanks for the reassurance. But I cannot see a 'peak framerate' box anywhere!
Then you're still running 0.9.4... it should be directly under the framerate selector.
Jeggler

Post by Jeggler »

Well I found the peak framerate box, but I have to say leaving the defaults like that results in jerky video. If I reset the framerate to 'same as source' I get perfect results. So - my original question/complaint still stands.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Jeggler wrote:Well I found the peak framerate box, but I have to say leaving the defaults like that results in jerky video. If I reset the framerate to 'same as source' I get perfect results. So - my original question/complaint still stands.
Activity Log? 29.97 fps PFR shouldn't affect PAL (25 fps) sources much, if at all.