New vs Old Apple TV Presets

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
nathug
Bright Spark User

New vs Old Apple TV Presets

Post by nathug »

Hi

I'm very excited to try out the new Apple TV 2 preset, I have a question about the max rates in the Old Preset.

When I previously encoded 'The Hurt Locker' there was a lot of issues with stuttering, and around this time 'vbv-maxrate=9500:vbv-bufsize=9500' was added to the AppleTV preset.

Is this not needed anymore with the new Apple TV as I can't see it in the advanced section? So far I've continued to use the old preset upping the ratio to 720 x ????.

Should I not worry?

Cheers

Nate
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: New vs Old Apple TV Presets

Post by nightstrm »

In the testing done so far, vbv-maxrate and vbv-bufsize has not been needed to ensure smooth playback when streaming. Personally, I stream everything via 802.11n and have had no playback issues with SD or HD material encoded without these limits in place.
pcx99

Post by pcx99 »

I like the new preset for the most part, however I'd like to see an ATV2 - High Quality preset that can be as slow as it needs to be, maybe a larger file-size too, but which will really max out the quality of the finished product. Specifically optimal adaptive b-frames instead of fast and any other tweaks; anything that can eliminate or reduce pixilation in fog or gradient based scenes which is what I really appreciated, and miss, from using the "high-profile" setting on recent encodes once I found out the atv could handle it.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The new AppleTV is quite capable - aside from not exceeding level 3.1 limits (i.e. using refs <= 5 - unless you know what you're doing), you should be able to use any of the official x264 presets' options. Just make your custom preset.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

pcx99 wrote:I like the new preset for the most part, however I'd like to see an ATV2 - High Quality preset that can be as slow as it needs to be, maybe a larger file-size too, but which will really max out the quality of the finished product. Specifically optimal adaptive b-frames instead of fast and any other tweaks; anything that can eliminate or reduce pixilation in fog or gradient based scenes which is what I really appreciated, and miss, from using the "high-profile" setting on recent encodes once I found out the atv could handle it.
Just add b-adapt=2 and whatever other slowness you want to the ATV2 preset and save it.