Newbie Help Request - No. #SomeUngodlyAmountHere

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
MovieFan87

Newbie Help Request - No. #SomeUngodlyAmountHere

Post by MovieFan87 »

Hi Guys!

Another Handbrake newbie here, coming to pester you with some "What should I use" questions! :D
So I've been using Handbrake for about a month now. I've got the basics down on how to use Handbrake, and create a rip to an .mp4 file. However, what I'm struggling with is what settings to use, to produce the best possible rip result - at 700mb per file. I've used several different prior to using Handbrake which pretty much did all the settings adjusting for me, so I'm not quite with all the video lingo etc.

http://bit.ly/b0Ocg2 - This is a link to the TV which I'll be viewing my rips, from my PS3 which is connected to the TV by HDMI (in 1080p) as well as on my computer.

The movies I'm ripping are high action movies, with fast movement, explosions and the like. I've noticed that my rips so far have a bit of a motion blur, which is what I want to eliminate as best as possible - but I don't know the settings, or understand what does what in Handbrake; which is where you fine people come in
:D

So in short, I want to create the best possible .mp4 rip with a 700mb file size limitation, reducing as much motion blur as possible for TV playback.

Hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Re: Newbie Help Request - No. #SomeUngodlyAmountHere

Post by thompson »

Can we ask why 700mb is your limitation? Would an average size of 700mb be acceptable, with some coming out lower and some higher?

Regardless, 700mb is somewhat small for feature-length film. My encodes average about 1-1.5gb for features. If you use constant quality, you can key into an average file size around your target, with the encoder using as many bits as necessary for each encode.

Also, search the forum for the numerous threads on PS3 settings.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If you insist on the 700MB size ( :lol: , what, are we still burning to CDs?), the best results would be 2 pass x264 settings equivalent to the placebo preset.

Paste this in the box on the advanced x264 tab: bframes=16:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:no-fast-pskip=1:me=tesa:merange=24:partitions=all:rc-lookahead=60:ref=16:subme=10:trellis=2
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

Placebo is pretty pointless, that's why it's called placebo...better to recommend high but not max settings imo.
MovieFan87

Post by MovieFan87 »

Nah, it doesn't have to be exactly 700mb. I've just always seen movies ripped to 700mb with pretty decent quality, and I just wanted to do that for myself. I want to be able to rip a large number of movies so I've got a large digital collection (trying to keep the size as low as possible, so I can fit more movies on).
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Find the CRF value that usually averages about the size you want. I'd guess mid 20s. Enjoy your faster encoding (since you only do a single pass).