Cartoon Encoding question (Family Guy)......

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
hogfan

Cartoon Encoding question (Family Guy)......

Post by hogfan »

I have done quite a bit of searching on this forum and on Google and the only information I have been able to find is from older versions of Handbrake. I have been trying to encode the Family Guy cartoons with limited success. I have done encodes using Deinterlace - Slower w. Detelicine set to default with decent results. My best encode came from settings of Decomb (Default), with RF of 20 CQ. I am not seeing the venetian blinds effect at all on the encodes, but parts of the encode have a water rippling effect (not sure what to call this.....kind of looks like Squiggle vision animation). If I can get rid of this effect I will have nice encodes. I have also noticed that it seems nobody has ever posted their settings for these cartoons, but I have spent over a week trying to sort this out. Can somebody that has had success post their settings for these type of cartoons? Any suggestions of what filters I need to apply to get rid of the rippling effect? Thanks for any help on this issue.

-hogfan
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Re: Cartoon Encoding question (Family Guy)......

Post by tlindgren »

Please post encoding logs as per forum requirements.
It may also be helpful if you post an example snapshot, even if suspect you're seeing interlacing artifacts. It sounds like you're also seeing that effect with the Deinterlace Slower version, is that correct?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Family Guy is a difficult source to filter. There are many threads about it specifically.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The PAL releases of series 1 and 2 in particular.
Starhawk
Experienced

Post by Starhawk »

If you're talking about season 1, it's a problem with the source.
hogfan

Post by hogfan »

Yes, it is Season 1 I am currently working with. So there is not much that can be done with it? @Rodeo, could you point me to some of the useful threads on this? Like I said, I have been digging and it seems like there are a lot of threads, but nobody seems to have a solution or recommendation. I will get a snapsot and encode log. Thanks for any help on this. Handbrake does great on my regular movies and I've got my settings dialed in there, but the cartoon stuff is killing me.

-hogfan