You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well done

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Locked
GraphiX2004
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 pm

You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well done

Post by GraphiX2004 »

You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well done

Well i must say today i updated to the latest version expecting great things and was amazed to find out you have dropped .avi (divx/xvid)
and your reasons is because its old technology lol what a joke

so i open up my latest 2010 argos cataloge and look for dvd players that support mkv, mp4, as standard and not a single one.
so i go looking through amazon for a standalone player that supports mp4 or mkv or any other container nada nothing zip.

so the millions and millions of people who own a stand-alone divx/xvid player (nearly everyone who uses the net these days)
now find that their software they used to convert to this popular format (must be popular because its now in every movie/dvd device even blu-ray players)
can no longer use this software to make their video's into a format to play on their players!!!!

and you feel this is the right thing to do??? and you feel avi/xvid/divx is useless compared to other formats???
well let me tell you NO STAND-ALONE dvd players on the market yet supports anything else but DivX/XviD so regardless what you think
millions on millions on millions of people who own these players will be upset because you've just made their devices useless.

and you don't even provide the early version no more for the millions of people who own divx players?????
this is completely insane why don't you just make your next version of the software linux only so you can rip the software from under the feet of the mac/windows users?

because that is all you've done to everyone here who uses the software for their stand-alone players.
yes i agree for watching video's on a computer mkv, h.264 or any other format is way better than DivX etc but tell this to device makers.
we can't control what formats our devices play now can we ... so why not drop this whole we don't provide avi support or provide the early version.

you can at least take your head outa your hole and think about the millions of us who actually need DivX/XviD support because of our dvd players (not pc)
can you understand the fact of what you've done by removing the feature of avi xvid containers????

yes it might be old but so what? it works and works damn well on the 20 million + DivX players in people's houses or did you forget all about this???

User avatar
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Some would say they were pretty well useless before we dropped support. Matter of opinion.

GraphiX2004
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by GraphiX2004 »

this should be good please explain how you come to that ?

how on earth can you say a portable/stand-alone divx player is useless?
you can fit 12 )350mb video files on a single dvd disc that plays straight away

name me 1 other format that is out there that can do this or even plays on a stand-alone device?
it's like saying the air we breath is pretty much useless... yep we'd all die without it but i guess in your eyes that doesn't matter.

you've taken the best software by far and removed the whole reason people with DivX players used it.
amazing how you did not think this though

oh and since it's "pretty much useless" as you say are you going to personally refund everyone who's bought a device since
you've clearly stated it's a useless device

10 billion active players world wide that supports divx hardly call this useless what planet are you on seriously.

User avatar
Rodeo
HandBrake Team
Posts: 12386
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by Rodeo »

GraphiX2004 wrote:so i open up my latest 2010 argos cataloge and look for dvd players that support mkv, mp4, as standard and not a single one.
A few Blu-Ray players do.
GraphiX2004 wrote:so i go looking through amazon for a standalone player that supports mp4 or mkv or any other container nada nothing zip.
AppleTV, WDTV and a bunch of similar, lesser-known devices, "multimedia" hard drives, some TVs with SD-card slots, computers/HTPCs, game consoles (PS3, Xbox 360 with some updates), portable gaming an non-gaming devices (PSP, iPod and similar devices, often featuring video out), phones (iPhone and many others, often with video out too). That's a lot of devices. Some are expensive, somme will set you back $50 or less if discounted.

Note: not all these devices support H.264, but HandBrake still has an MPEG-4 ASP (i.e. "DivX") encoder; it just doesn't output AVI anymore.
GraphiX2004 wrote:and you don't even provide the early version no more for the millions of people who own divx players?????
this is completely insane why don't you just make your next version of the software linux only so you can rip the software from under the feet of the mac/windows users?
You're lucky builds are provided at all. I would love to see your face if the devs decided to no longer provide builds :D

User avatar
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by JohnAStebbins »

GraphiX2004 wrote:this should be good please explain how you come to that ?
how on earth can you say a portable/stand-alone divx player is useless?
Quality is crap. Useless.
you can fit 12 )350mb video files on a single dvd disc that plays straight away
350mb. See above.
name me 1 other format that is out there that can do this or even plays on a stand-alone device?
it's like saying the air we breath is pretty much useless... yep we'd all die without it but i guess in your eyes that doesn't matter.
mp4+h.264+aac. pretty much every smartphone on the market. AppleTV, BoxeeBox, PS3, xbox360, most bluray players, wdtv, popcorn hour (multiple models)
you've taken the best software by far and removed the whole reason people with DivX players used it.
amazing how you did not think this though
If you bothered to read our announcement, there were very good reasons for it's removal. It didnt' 'work and work well' as you claim. In fact it caused a never ending stream of user support issues. It caused numerous issues in the code that we had to constantly work around. It was a distraction. We chose to focus our efforts by eliminating the distraction. Simple as that.
oh and since it's "pretty much useless" as you say are you going to personally refund everyone who's bought a device since
you've clearly stated it's a useless device
I'll give you all every penny I've made on HandBrake. :mrgreen:
10 billion active players world wide that supports divx hardly call this useless what planet are you on seriously.
They are useless to me. As I said before, matter of opinion.

User avatar
Rodeo
HandBrake Team
Posts: 12386
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by Rodeo »

GraphiX2004 wrote:this should be good please explain how you come to that ?

how on earth can you say a portable/stand-alone divx player is useless?
you can fit 12 )350mb video files on a single dvd disc that plays straight away

name me 1 other format that is out there that can do this or even plays on a stand-alone device?
2 GB USB key, a WDTV Live or maybe a similar, cheaper alternative. Make the files 150 MB and they'll fit. Depending on the source, with H.264 you could match the quality of a 350 MB AVI. Or make them 300 MB and get a 4 GB key. Transferring files to a USB key is faster than burning a disc. The key should last longer than a re-writable DVD.
GraphiX2004 wrote:it's like saying the air we breath is pretty much useless... yep we'd all die without it but i guess in your eyes that doesn't matter.
So without AVI output in HB you'll die. Yay! Good riddance. :D
GraphiX2004 wrote:you've taken the best software by far and removed the whole reason people with DivX players used it.
amazing how you did not think this though
HandBrake is the only encoder in the whole world that (used to) output MPEG-4 ASP in AVI containers. And now that the feature has been removed, these devices are all useless. Judgment day is near.
GraphiX2004 wrote:oh and since it's "pretty much useless" as you say are you going to personally refund everyone who's bought a device since
you've clearly stated it's a useless device
I'm sure the devs will be happy to refund you any money you paid them for HandBrake. Would $0.00 be acceptable?
GraphiX2004 wrote:10 billion active players world wide that supports divx hardly call this useless what planet are you on seriously.
Hmm, that's indeed a lot of devices. I wasn't aware that there were more DVD players with MPEG-4 ASP support used to play AVI files than human beings.

mduell
Veteran User
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:54 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by mduell »

Laserdisc players are also unsupported. The injustice!

tropic10
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:35 am

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by tropic10 »

The great thing about open source is that you can do the following:

1. Checkout the code.
2. Fork and put avi/xvid/divx back in.
3. Release.
4. Make your millions and millions of people happy.

Problem solved.

Teibidh
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:22 am

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by Teibidh »

Wait, Handbrake supported AVI? When was this? :shock:

jamiemlaw
Veteran User
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by jamiemlaw »

GraphiX2004. you argument is falling on deaf ears. To say AVI is a popular format is like saying that Internet Explorer 6 is a popular web browser. Yes, a lot of people still use them, but they're old hat and hindering the progress of the other formats. To say that this has rendered your DVD player useless is… well, I was going to say "understatement" but I think the better term is "lie". Surely you can still watch AVI files on it, as well as any new DVDs you buy. How is that "useless"? Basically, the worst scenario I can see for you is that you now have to switch discs more often. Oh, the humanity!

The only way I can see that such a move has made your setup useless is if your work cycle has been to rent DVDs, rip them to AVI and them give them back. I'll agree that HandBrake dropping AVI would be detrimental the success of that scenario.

remyhelsinki
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:35 am

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by remyhelsinki »

Help me! I'm drowning in hyperbole!

BTW, thanks devs for all your work!

(How did the number go from 10 million to 20 million to 10 billion so quickly? I want to hire the salesman who is responsible for that!)

User avatar
Rodeo
HandBrake Team
Posts: 12386
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by Rodeo »

jamiemlaw wrote:The only way I can see that such a move has made your setup useless is if your work cycle has been to rent DVDs, rip them to AVI and them give them back. I'll agree that HandBrake dropping AVI would be detrimental the success of that scenario.
All the better. The devs do not condone this.

jamiemlaw
Veteran User
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by jamiemlaw »

Exactly. :)

randomreuben
Veteran User
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by randomreuben »

@GraphiX2004,

Sweetie, you might want to read this. http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-I ... 822&sr=8-1

Hugs,

randomreuben

jamiemlaw
Veteran User
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by jamiemlaw »

I doubt he will: it's not in DivX format.

jbrjake
Veteran User
Posts: 4805
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:38 am

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by jbrjake »

GraphiX2004 wrote:so i open up my latest 2010 argos cataloge and look for dvd players that support mkv, mp4, as standard and not a single one.
so i go looking through amazon for a standalone player that supports mp4 or mkv or any other container nada nothing zip.
<snip>
well let me tell you NO STAND-ALONE dvd players on the market yet supports anything else but DivX/XviD
You're a liar.

User avatar
s55
HandBrake Team
Posts: 9707
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: You have made 10 million DivX/XviD players useless well

Post by s55 »

Words can not represent the level of stupidity and complete lack of understanding in your post.

Go spread your crap on some other forum. Thread Locked.

Locked