Batch Convert VIDEO_TS Rips

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
m021478

Batch Convert VIDEO_TS Rips

Post by m021478 »

Back in the day, I used to rip all of my DVD movies using MacTheRipper to the VIDEO_TS format, thinking that this was the most archival manner to go about backing up my movies (as its basically the same as the files on the DVD disc, minus DRM Copy Protection). Problem is that the VIDEO_TS format isn't the optimal format for playback on my devices, and media center apps.

My question is -- assuming that I want be able to playback my VIDEO_TS DVD rips on my iPad, AppleTV & iPhone, and be able to play them via Plex/XBMC/Boxee, what is the best way to go about batch converting about 500 VIDEO_TS rips without having to manually load each one into handbrake, choose a preset, verify whether de-interlacing in necessary or not, choose a file name, output folder, etc, etc...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
louwrentius

Re: Batch Convert VIDEO_TS Rips

Post by louwrentius »

Use HandBrakeCLI in a script to batch-process your video files.

1. You need to handle the input and arguments to HandBrakeCLI
2. You need to execute HandBrakeCLI on every VIDEO_TS directory you have.

You could use this script, you may have to change the handbrake options at the beginning.

http://code.google.com/p/ppss/downloads ... h&can=2&q=

You could create a list of the VIDEO_TS directories by using a command like this (example):

Code: Select all

find /dir/with/movies/ -type f -iname "*.vob" -exec dirname {} \; | sort | uniq >> dvds.txt
The result is a file called dvds.txt that contains all the VIDEO_TS directorries or other folders containing .vob files that need to be processed.

Now you just need to run the script or HandBrakeCLI command on all items in the list. Just use a for-loop in a bash shell script, use xargs or you could use PPSS http://code.google.com/p/ppss/ like this:

Code: Select all

ppss -f dvds.txt -c './transcode2mp4.sh "$ITEM" highres /destination/directory' -p 1
The -f option takes the list of to be processed items as an argument
The -c option specifies the command that must be invoked on an item
The -p option makes sure that only one item is processed at a time.

You could even use multiple computers to simultaneously process all your VIDEO_TS directories.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17504
m021478

Post by m021478 »

Thanks for the awesome response! If only I had even fleeting chance of being able to pull this off based solely on your description, then I'd be good to go!

Unfortunately... (you guessed it)... I haven't got aforementioned fleeting chance :(

I don't suppose you could elaborate in layman's terms, could you? I would be eternally grateful if you would!

-------------
louwrentius

Post by louwrentius »

I am sorry but I cannot. That would take me about 3 hours: to provide you with a step by step instruction. But you would still not know what you were doing so with the slightest error you would make, It wouldn't work and you would be lost. But basically, there is almost a step by step instruction in my post above. So If this is to complicated, then there are no options I guess.

If you want to accomplish what you want, you have to learn some basic unix terminal skills first, or find a program that will do it for yo with a GUI other than handbrake.

You can still manually add all your movies.

The question is now: do you want to be a monkey, adding 100 movies to the queue, or do you want to learn something and benefit from that knowledge in the future?
m021478

Post by m021478 »

louwrentius

Post by louwrentius »

m021478 wrote:This worked for me...

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12726
If the Topic Starter is not able to run these few commands I provided above, will he/she be able to wade through about 20 pages of quite advanced instructions on how to automate this?