Can DVD ripping code be put back now?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Art2Fly

Can DVD ripping code be put back now?

Post by Art2Fly »

The United States government today has announced that jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones, rooting of Android phones and ripping DVDs (for educational purposes) is completely legal as long as they are not violating copyright law. Jailbreaking and Unlocking of iPhones has never been illegal, it was just that Apple had strict policies right from the start which prohibited users from installing apps on their device which were not approved by Apple, along with locking the phone so that it can be used on one carrier only.

Now that ripping dvd's are legal if you use it for educational purposes, such as ripping your owned dvd (not rented) dvd to your ipod or whatever, can you guys put the code back in both the mac and windows version of handbreak? Or will we have to stick to using dvd decrypter?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Can DVD ripping code be put back now?

Post by nightstrm »

Now that ripping dvd's are legal if you use it for educational purposes, such as ripping your owned dvd (not rented) dvd to your ipod or whatever,
How would this be an educational purpose?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Art2Fly wrote:Now that ripping dvd's are legal if you use it for educational purposes, such as ripping your owned dvd (not rented) dvd to your ipod or whatever, can you guys put the code back in both the mac and windows version of handbreak?
Um, the windows version *never* had any decrypting capabilites whatsoever. Mac version ... no need to.
Art2Fly

Post by Art2Fly »

Well, anyway, I thought i would bring this up because it does make it so much easier to do. Not that i am complaining about using DVD Decryptor or MacTheRipper, but for some of us that only have like 12 gigs free at any given time, to rip a 8gb dvd kinda is a hassle.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Art2Fly wrote:Well, anyway, I thought i would bring this up because it does make it so much easier to do. Not that i am complaining about using DVD Decryptor or MacTheRipper, but for some of us that only have like 12 gigs free at any given time, to rip a 8gb dvd kinda is a hassle.
As dynaflash pointed out, HandBrake for Windows never had any built-in decryption, so there is nothing to bring back.

DVD43, DVDFab PassKey and AnyDVD will decrypt on-the-fly, allowing your to encode straight from disc with HandBrake.

Having only 12 GB free doesn't sound like a good idea, especially if it's your boot drive.
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Post by tlindgren »

dynaflash wrote:
Art2Fly wrote:Now that ripping dvd's are legal if you use it for educational purposes, such as ripping your owned dvd (not rented) dvd to your ipod or whatever, can you guys put the code back in both the mac and windows version of handbreak?
Um, the windows version *never* had any decrypting capabilites whatsoever. Mac version ... no need to.
Actually, as noted by glyxor in the following thread the Windows version will use libdvdcss.dll if you provide a compatible one from GStreamer, similar but not identical to how it's done on Linux. It didn't work when HandbrakeCLI.exe was built with Cygwin, but with MinGW built binaries it does work (not sure if 0.9.4 was Cygwin or MinGW, but all the nightly builds are built using MinGW).
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Art2Fly wrote:Well, anyway, I thought i would bring this up because it does make it so much easier to do. Not that i am complaining about using DVD Decryptor or MacTheRipper, but for some of us that only have like 12 gigs free at any given time, to rip a 8gb dvd kinda is a hassle.
well given you mention MTR, I assume you also use Mac. Of course you do not have to use mtr and copy the whole thing if you just install vlc ... . HB on mac can go right from disc just like old versions if you have vlc installed in /Applications . This is pretty much widely known.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

I love how you couldn't even be bothered to read the exemption announcement.

Point 1: The exemption is to violations of U.S.C. 1201(a)(1) (circumventing) not (a)(2) (distributing technology capable of circumventing).

Point 2: The government explicitly rejected format shifting. The exemption is solely for "the incorporation of short portions of motion pictures into new works for the purpose of criticism or comment." They go on to declare: "Other classes considered, but not recommended [...] Motion pictures protected by anti-access measures, such that access to the motion picture content requires use of a certain platform. [....] In these rulemakings, proposed classes have regularly been rejected in cases where a user who wished to engage in a noninfringing use of a work using a particular device already had the ability lawfully to engage in the same noninfringing use of the work using a different device. The same principle applies here. [....] Mere consumer inconvenience is not sufficient to support the designation of a class of works. The statute does not provide that this rulemaking is to enable the most convenient method of consuming video content."

Point 3: The exemption is not for "educational uses", full stop, it's for "educational uses by college and university professors and by college and university film and media studies students." They expressly state that K-12 teachers and students and college students not in film or media studies have no necessity for high quality rips when they can use lower-quality solutions like screen-capture software.

(IANAL, etc)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You should also note, US law applies to the US, not the entire world.

libdvdcss will not be shipped with HandBrake. End of story.
loriensleafs

Post by loriensleafs »

If it's your DVD and it's legal for this to be done in the US there's no reason not to let ppl do this on their home DVDs....
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Thread Locked.