Speed Quality Size... Pick Two

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
thedadymac

Speed Quality Size... Pick Two

Post by thedadymac »

Hello I am wondering settings in handbrake for speed and quality I have a 2tb hard drive so the size isn't an issue.
phoenixdown

Re: Speed Quality Size... Pick Two

Post by phoenixdown »

What device are you using to play the files back on? What size screen? Those are important factors too.

I was using the high profile preset which was great but I switched over to the appletv preset with the changes by dynaflash in the appletv preset thread.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

Best option: just keep the original files. If they're DVDs, or Blu-Rays, just rip them to your hard drive and be done with it.
peewee2007

Post by peewee2007 »

If you have to pick two go for Quality and Size. Speed should be the last thing thought about as you have the DVD if you want to watch it straight away. Most films take between 45 min to 2 hours to rip depending on everything.

or as stated above if space isn't an issue and you dont have a massive DVD collection then just rip the DVD into 4.7GB will take an hour and you know your quality will be next to prefect. Speed and size normal rarely changes much this way.