4GB Limit???

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
petvas
Experienced

4GB Limit???

Post by petvas »

I knew that quicktime cannot play h.264 files bigger than 4GB. Sometimes, it did happen and the encoded file was bigger than 4GB and Quicktime couldnt open it. This file was encoded with handbrake.

I recorded a TV Show this weekend with Eye TV and exported it to the Apple TV. The file is 5,9GB and Quicktime plays it with no problems, so does my Apple TV..
Am I missing something here?
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

So, it is (was) a handbrake bug?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Quicktime wont be able to open it as when HB hits 4GB then dies, It leaves the file unfinished hence QT will complain.

Its not really a bug... more a limitation.
Confused Amused

Post by Confused Amused »

There was a fix committed awhile ago, but it broke compatibility with some devices. I actually tried it out myself this weekend while trying to do the LOTR series. The encode worked fine and played fine, but the deal-breaker for me was that I wasn't able to edit the artwork in iTunes.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

The file created by EyeTV can be used with no issues in iTunes. Artwork, Metadata, everything works. What I found really cool is that although the file has a bit rate of 4300kbps!!! - streaming works great!
Eug

Re: 4GB Limit???

Post by Eug »

petvas wrote:I knew that quicktime cannot play h.264 files bigger than 4GB.
Yes it can (as you've discovered).