PS3 file to play on PS3

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Glassman

PS3 file to play on PS3

Post by Glassman »

Hey folks,
I am kinda new here and I was wondering that once you rip am movie with the PS3 preset, how do you get it to play on the PS3? What I've done so far is create a file on a 4GB USB flash drive named Video, then saved the file from handbrake to that Video file on the flash drive. Then put the flash drive in the USB port on the PS3. The PS3 did recognize a flash drive iin the USB port, but said there was no video to play. Please advise. Thanks, Glassman.
Video_newb

Post by Video_newb »

I believe the triangle button will let you view all files on the drive. If you can see the file and it still won't let you play it then you need to use different settings to encode. Hope this helps.

Edit: I just checked by encoding a video in the new version of handbrake and I think the PS3 preset might not work on the PS3. If nobody replies to this here I'll post in the request section, but unless I'm mistaken the PS3 has problems with the h.264 main profile setting output from handbrake. If this indeed ends up being the case, all you need to do is to change h.264 main to h.264 ipod before you encode and it should work on the PS3. Devs if you read this feel free to chime in. Also, I think there was a workaround using video passthrough but resaving the file through quicktime. I'm not certain if that will work, but might be worth a shot rather than having to reencode.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Um...you really think clee added a preset without testing it?
Video_newb

Post by Video_newb »

Ok, so I stand corrected, but understand that I was trying to be helpful, not accusatory. Secondly, now that I know that the straight preset works, here is my question. Why when I change it to 2 pass 2000 kbps deinterlace does it no longer work? I assume there is some behind the scenes magic going on to get h.264 main profile to work on the ps3, but behind the scenes magic doesn't help me encode vids. I don't mind going to the command line, I just need to know what the ps3 preset does. Hopefully at the end of the day we can have our cake and eat it too.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Video_newb wrote:Ok, so I stand corrected, but understand that I was trying to be helpful, not accusatory. Secondly, now that I know that the straight preset works, here is my question. Why when I change it to 2 pass 2000 kbps deinterlace does it no longer work? I assume there is some behind the scenes magic going on to get h.264 main profile to work on the ps3, but behind the scenes magic doesn't help me encode vids. I don't mind going to the command line, I just need to know what the ps3 preset does. Hopefully at the end of the day we can have our cake and eat it too.
When you change to 2-pass and modify the bitrate you basically delete the x264 options (magic) that is required for a PS3 compatible file. If you would like 2-pass and a different bitrate, you need to make your own preset. See this thread.
Video_newb

Post by Video_newb »

Thanks, I'll check up in the x264 options wiki, edit up my own preset and hope it all goes according to plan.