h.264 - mpeg-4 quality

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jamesbond

h.264 - mpeg-4 quality

Post by jamesbond »

Hi ya'll been using Handbrake for almost a year and love it! (100+ movies)
I rip to mpeg-4 at around 3000 kps 2-pass on a intel mac mini single, but do any of you think using h.264 codec will look any better at that rate even though it takes so much longer to encode, thanks for the feedback...
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Using the same bit rate the difference quality is big! I also didnt want at first to use the h.264 encoder but now mpeg4 is no option for me...H.264 looks fantastic on my HDTV, better than DVD!
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

The encoding time for H.264, compared to MPEG-4 ASP, logically dictates that, due to a more advanced asymmetrical encoding algorithm, the video/frames etc are getting better compressed, hence the extra time.

Tests have shown that you get 20% better efficiency from H.264 vs. MPEG-4 ASP in terms of quality.

In other words, all other things being equal, you either get 20% better quality per file size with H.264, or would need 20% more file size per same quality for MPEG-4 ASP.

IMO, I would say it's more like a 30%-35% improvement when using H.264 (with my eyes). I believe it to be that much better and worth the extra encoding time. I'm sure if you compare, you will see a definite advantage yourself for H.264.

I would also recommend H.264 since the technology is headed that way. It will be better supported, more "future-proof" and a more common standard.

It's worth it.
Last edited by PuzZLeR on Fri May 25, 2007 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Thanks for the feedback, I think it's h.264 for now on...