DVD TO MPEG1 FORMAT HELP

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
g7jon

DVD TO MPEG1 FORMAT HELP

Post by g7jon »

Sorry if this has been asked before. I work in the Legal Video industry and I'm pretty new to the Mac World. I recently went through an article in mix magazine about QuickTime Tricks by Paul D. Lehrman, it was awesome.
Anyway,
IS THERE A WAY TO TRANSFER DVD TO MPEG1, THAT'S SUPER FAST and PERFECTLY ACCURATE? I LOVE THIS HANDBRAKE SOFTWARE AND WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS A TRICK TO CONVERT STRAIGHT FROM A DVD TO MPEG1. I usually have to capture everything in real time and I want see if there is another easier 1 step way.
Thanks, Jon
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Read the forum rules - Don't use caps lock. Its considered rude.

No, it wont produce mpeg1 video. Why would you even want to? h264 or mpeg4 are what you want to be encoding to these days.
g7jon

Lawyers are way behind in Technology

Post by g7jon »

Scott and anyone else out there that thinks mpeg1 is a thing of the past, I agree. However, the software they use in court that sync's the video to a writen transcript requires you to use mpeg1. Lawyer's are way behind when it comes to technology. Some even ask for VHS. Anyway, I'm sure in the future they will switch to H.264 or mpeg4 but for now they are set up with mpeg1. Also, sorry about the all caps.
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

If it's a commercial DVD, rip it to your hard drive with MacTheRipper first. Drop the decrypted video_ts folder in FFMpegX or VisualHub and you can convert to mpeg1. In FFMpegX use the VCD preset but uncheck split mpeg and author as vcd under the options, in VisualHub use the MPEG tab.
baggss

Re: Lawyers are way behind in Technology

Post by baggss »

g7jon wrote:Lawyer's are way behind when it comes to technology. Some even ask for VHS. Anyway, I'm sure in the future they will switch to H.264 or mpeg4 but for now they are set up with mpeg1. Also, sorry about the all caps.
At least they are not asking for Betamax! :lol:
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

G7Jon, here's you chance to be ahead of the game in your profession. Be the first to promote H.264 into the system!