Encoding time

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
dfrontan

Encoding time

Post by dfrontan »

Can anyone tell me, does encoding video files take on average 3 hours for a DVD? I have already ripped my DVDs to a hard drive. Now I just want to combine them so I can watch 1 file. I use this and it is taking over 3 hours. Is this normal? Seems very long.

Thanks!
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Encoding time

Post by TedJ »

3 hours to encode a DVD is not unreasonable, depending on your machine specifications... H.264 video is very CPU intensive to encode.
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

I take 6-12 hours for my DVDs, depending on the length and my quality settings. Low-end dual core.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

And on my high end dual core it takes about 45 minutes to an hour. But settings can change timing quite a bit. If I use the High setting it can easily take double that time. I've found that even on my 55" Sammy LED that a "standard" encode looks as good as it gets for me, so I don't bother doing anything higher, but YMMV. You may want to try various encode settings to see what looks best to you and what amount of time you're willing to live with (for my blu-ray encodes it takes between 6 and 10 hours but I run them overnight so I don't really care how long it takes).