How to setup for best audio only?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Dj_AmTraX

How to setup for best audio only?

Post by Dj_AmTraX »

I want to extract the audio track ONLY off a music/concert DVD. What is the best settings for that? I only want 2 channels (stereo 16/44.1) for now. I have a program (Extract Movie Sountrack) that will convert the Handbrake exported mpeg-4 file to AIFF so I can import into iTunes. Thank you for your help.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: How to setup for best audio only?

Post by mduell »

Find the right tool for the job. HB isn't it.

OR

Do the encode with really low quality video, like 100kbps ffmpeg, and ac3 passthrough for audio.
Chris_BBR
Novice

Post by Chris_BBR »

iTunes can extract audio directly from the .mp4 file, so you can skip the "Extract Movie Sountrack" stage.

In iTunes, hold down the alt/option key and select menu Advanced->Convert to AAC, then navigate to the .mp4 file. iTunes will then import the .mp4's sound track using your default CD import settings.

Use a passthrough audio setting in HB as mduell suggests, so that you'll only be downsampling the sound once through the whole process, and thus minimizing any potential loss of quality.

Cheers, Chris
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Chris_BBR wrote:In iTunes, hold down the alt/option key and select menu Advanced->Convert to AAC, then navigate to the .mp4 file. iTunes will then import the .mp4's sound track using your default CD import settings.
2 conversions don't sound like a good idea.
Chris_BBR wrote:Use a passthrough audio setting in HB as mduell suggests, so that you'll only be downsampling the sound once through the whole process, and thus minimizing any potential loss of quality.
That does avoid the double conversion, though I'm pretty sure iTunes can't convert AC3 (or DTS) to AAC (though I guess it may be possible if you have Perian installed - under OS X that is).
Dj_AmTraX

Post by Dj_AmTraX »

mduell wrote: Do the encode with really low quality video, like 100kbps ffmpeg, and ac3 passthrough for audio.
Wouldn't I need a decoder program to decode the Dolby 2.0 (pass-thru) from the DVD? iTunes will not convert to AIFF from AC3 pass thru right?