possible to get Lame (ideally VBR) audio, and for mp4 too?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Dukers

Re: possible to get Lame (ideally VBR) audio, and for mp4 too?

Post by Dukers »

jbrjake wrote:[...] just posting extended diatribes measuring the penile lengths of various encoding engines and rate control methods.
That was rude, dude. If anyone posting here ("measuring penile lengths") had the skills to code it, I'm sure it would have been done. Can we discuss about features without being ridiculed?
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

TimmyC,
You said:
AAC passthru would certainly be useful for DVDs that already have AAC audio.
Then you said:
it's my understanding that AAC is not included in the spec for DVD-video, nor for Blu-Ray
Your second statement is the correct one.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Content deleted.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

musicvid wrote:I have one lingering question that got lost in the tempest, one that I hope you can answer. Would there be any practicality in being able to "pass through" an existing AAC stream in Handbrake, such as is done with AC-3? The advantage of not re-encoding a lossy format is the main reason.
I eagerly await your patch.
TimmyC wrote:If you consider anything along the lines of feature requests, or interest about the quality of various encoders, to be "diatribes about penile length" you might consider formally restricting this "general" forum to developers only.
I believe the DSW he's referring to is regarding audio encoders, not feature requests.
Dukers wrote:If anyone posting here ("measuring penile lengths") had the skills to code it, I'm sure it would have been done. Can we discuss about features without being ridiculed?
Sure; it'd be nice to pick novel ones, rather than the blindingly obvious.
towolf

Post by towolf »

There is libavcodec/aacenc.c in ffmpeg.

I guess it’s to be hoped that this thing matures at one point.
stmiller
Novice

Post by stmiller »

The FAAC devs were hired to work for and develop Nero's (excellent) AAC encoder. (Nero's encoder is free, btw but not GPL)
Ever since then, only minor bug fixes have been done to FAAC. No real development. (Help Wanted!)

One thing that may or may not bug you: FAAC is limited to 160kbps MAX. That is too bad.
Granted AAC is more efficient than mp3 at lower bitrates, but yeah.

FAAC's own website says:
Note that the quality of FAAC is not up to par with the currently best AAC encoders available.
http://www.audiocoding.com/faac.html

It is what it is, I suppose!
Deleted User 11865

Re: possible to get Lame (ideally VBR) audio, and for mp4 to

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

For those who can build from source: http://handbrake.fr/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=1266
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Rodeo did ABR lame above.

And here's lame in mp4 http://handbrake.fr/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=1267

I only enabled it in the gtk gui. The cli should work. It didn't have any checks to prevent lame's use in mp4. The other ui's are up to their maintainers.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Here's another patch that combines the above lame patches and adds one more quality related tweak.
Lame, by default, uses joint-stereo mode. In this mode, signals that are "common" between the left and
right channel are subtracted from those channels and encoded separately. At low bitrates, this improves
overall quality, but at higher bitrates, it hurts imaging (channel separation). So I added a check for
higer bitrate usage (>=128kbps) and enabled regular stereo mode.

http://handbrake.fr/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=1269
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Any opinions on these changes going in? This provides higher quality audio than faac in mp4 for those the have players that support it. This includes many linux and windows players and devices like DROID.
Bling2Ming
Enlightened

Post by Bling2Ming »

JohnAStebbins wrote:Any opinions on these changes going in? This provides higher quality audio than faac in mp4 for those the have players that support it. This includes many linux and windows players and devices like DROID.

I've Just done a test encode to prove it, and it looks like the WDTV supports mp3 audio in mp4 container too.

I think it would be nice for this to go in, with perhaps a tooltip or something to highlight the fact that it will break Apple compatibility.
Dukers

Post by Dukers »

Thank you! I'll wait for the next snapshot to test it.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Dukers wrote:Thank you! I'll wait for the next snapshot to test it.
How do you know it's been committed? ;-) :-)
Dukers

Post by Dukers »

Hey folks, the LAME support is working great. I've been using it with MKV for some time.

I have a small request. While Handbrake 0.9.5 is in development, If possible, can LAME be updated to 3.98.4?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Dukers wrote:Hey folks, the LAME support is working great. I've been using it with MKV for some time.

I have a small request. While Handbrake 0.9.5 is in development, If possible, can LAME be updated to 3.98.4?
Any particular reason why?
Dukers

Post by Dukers »

Because there are two red lines since 3.98:
http://lame.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checko ... story.html
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Neither of those provide a reason to upgrade. One's a decode issue, and ones a problem with code we don't use.