What does native VFR time stamp handling mean for Handbrake?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
L255J
Novice

What does native VFR time stamp handling mean for Handbrake?

Post by L255J »

x264 now has "native VFR time stamp handling". My uneducated impression is that this means regardless of the framerate, x264 will mux the audio and video by itself without Handbrake's help. Is this the case?
mac_man_ad
Experienced

Re: What does native VFR time stamp handling mean for Handbrake?

Post by mac_man_ad »

I think it's more to do with x264 no longer assuming a constant frame rate for motion prediction and rate control. Means little for HB, the SVN head has been just updated for the new x264 revision, with no modifications to HB.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

L255J wrote:x264 now has "native VFR time stamp handling". My uneducated impression is that this means regardless of the framerate, x264 will mux the audio and video by itself without Handbrake's help. Is this the case?
No.

Using x264's new code may help fix issues such as this one at some point though: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14462
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

L255J wrote:x264 now has "native VFR time stamp handling". My uneducated impression is that this means regardless of the framerate, x264 will mux the audio and video by itself without Handbrake's help. Is this the case?
Um...x264's CLI has handled muxing for a very long time. This has absolutely no bearing on HB since of course HB does not use x264cli, it uses libx264, which, as a video encoding engine, has no muxing code.