How is everyone backing up their ripped DVD collection?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
brownrecluse

How is everyone backing up their ripped DVD collection?

Post by brownrecluse »

Just wondering How is everyone backing up their ripped DVD collection?

I've spent a TON of time rippig my DVD collection into apple tv format and would hate to loose it all to a hard drive failure.

I juss started copying my ripped DVD's to another external drive "just in case". I guess another option would be to burn all the MP4 movie files to a DVD backup but that would take many DVD's and an assload of time.

Just wondering what method if any everyone is backing up their files......

Sorry for my bad typing, just put a keg of 11.5 percent Barley Wine in my Keg Fridge....LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

BROWN.RECLUCE
Fastfwd

Post by Fastfwd »

I have 2 external drives. One is for all my music and movies. The other is for a backup of all my music and movies.
Dr.Pepper

Post by Dr.Pepper »

My backup is the DVD disc :D
Fastfwd

Post by Fastfwd »

Dr.Pepper wrote:My backup is the DVD disc :D
I really would'nt want to re-rip 100+ DVDs

Maybe I'd like to re-rip all my CDs. Some of them are 128, some 192, some 320 and a couple are vbr around 200. If I had to start from scratch I'd rip everything to 192. It's good enough that I don't hear a difference with higher bitrate, it's small enough to fit a lot of mp3 in my car's phatbox system and I also read that cbr uses less battery on the ipod than vbr.
Dr.Pepper

Post by Dr.Pepper »

Yes, well I haven't bothered to rip more than a couple of my DVD's. That's because I'm waiting for the ultimate solution, I want chapters with the original name. And of course multiple subtitles with the option to turn it on or off.
Fastfwd

Post by Fastfwd »

Dr.Pepper wrote:Yes, well I haven't bothered to rip more than a couple of my DVD's. That's because I'm waiting for the ultimate solution, I want chapters with the original name. And of course multiple subtitles with the option to turn it on or off.
We'll probably see that soon and also probably cheaper and cheaper disks until it becomes as simple as just copying the DVD to the harddrive, preserving the original quality and resolution.

Actually right now most of my action DVDs are just copied entirely on disk. I'll have to remove them when I run out of room and keep just a compressed version or actually make the effort of taking the DVD out of the box and outting it in the computer to watch.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I want one of these: http://www.drobo.com
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

I know some will boo me. But with a little bit of project management I do well.

I make a couple of encodes.

One batch is my best quality, higher level, H.264 clips. These are my archives, compressed at good quality, and will eventually be burned to BD/HD-DvD playback in the future. This is my "good stuff".

Another batch is also encoded for my upcoming iPod 5.5 in the Baseline profile. Also very compatible for today's hardware - QT, @Tv, coming stand-alones, etc. as well.

Sure it's two encodes, but HB is FAST. I just set them up to encode overnight and while I'm at work.

As well, they serve as a backup to each other. Instead of a copy, why not have two versions for two functions instead? External hard drives are getting cheaper and bigger all the time anyway.

Nevertheless, my lower level Baseline stuff will eventually be divested and replaced by the "good stuff" (as a backup copy) later when hardware playback advances in the coming years.

I'm good today, I'm good tomorrow and I'm all backed up. :D
Last edited by PuzZLeR on Sat May 05, 2007 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Lots of good info in this thread: http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=877
sidechain

Post by sidechain »

I borrowed a friends AIT 4 Drive 200GB on each tape about $60.00/tape on eBay.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

I bought two Lacie 1.28 TB hard drives. One is a backup and I keep in a fire proof safe. Each one cost me $500. Unfortunately, I am running out of space and don't know what to do now. The cost of RAID is too much. I think I will buy a 2+ TB hard drive and then use the two 1.28 TB as back ups. The Apple TV is going to do wonders for external hard drive sales.
Scarpad

Post by Scarpad »

cbud wrote:I bought two Lacie 1.28 TB hard drives. One is a backup and I keep in a fire proof safe. Each one cost me $500. Unfortunately, I am running out of space and don't know what to do now. The cost of RAID is too much. I think I will buy a 2+ TB hard drive and then use the two 1.28 TB as back ups. The Apple TV is going to do wonders for external hard drive sales.
Tell me about it, I'm currently filling a 400mb drive, have an empty 500gb after that, then I'll have to seriously look into a 1TB Disk
Deleted User 1443

Post by Deleted User 1443 »

I have mirrored two Lacie 1 TB external drivies so if one goes bad I have a second one on the fly and my movies still work until I get a replacement.

I am also considering backing up using Mozy.com. They charge you $4.95 per month for unlimited storage and they now have a Mac client. This is only $60 per year. I paid $430 for my second Lacie drive which equals to over 7 years of the Mozy.com fee. I would be surprized if my external drive would last that long with heavy use. Plus 1 TB may not be enough for me and I may have to go out and spend another $800+ for the same setup again.

The only drawback to the Mozy method is if my external drive when down I would be without my movies for a while as it would take serveral days to download 1 or 2 TB of backed up movies.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

I just set up a Mozy account and started backing up my collection...513GB!

It will definitely take many days for the initial backup, but at least Mozy guarantees the backup. I have three external 500GB HDs and one 250GB. One of them was used as a backup and it will remain like that for my most important stuff. For all other movies Mozy will definitely suffice. I dont want to spent money for more space. My Internet bandwidth is more than enough for the Mozy Backup. My download is 25Mbit and Upload 4,5Mbit.

Thanks to u guys that mentioned Mozy. I wasnt aware of it!
newbi

Post by newbi »

On another note!

I have three 500Gb HD's and one 250Gb HD

does anyone know of a raid controller as i think all these external HD's will be a burdon on my iMac proccessor.

I am going to replace my 250GB HD internal drive with a 500GB one so i have a full 2 TB - 1 to backup and 1 to mirror the other, just worried about having four FW drive's plugged into my iMac and streaming to ?Tv plus playing on the internet it might be just a bit to much.

cheers

N
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

I have to say that after using Mozy for a couple of hours I am disappointed. The upload speed is very slow, it doesnt utilize my bandwidhth...

I decided to create RAID 1 pairs for my library. I have 3 500GB HDs and one 250 GB. I will get another 500GB and create 2 RAID 1 pairs, leaving the 250GB one for other stuff...

One pair will be connected through Firewire and one through USB, so I do not expect performance issues
brownrecluse

using mozy

Post by brownrecluse »

Hi,

I also signed up for Mozy, seems like a great deal.

BUT, I'm not honestly sure it will work to backup our entire ripped DVD collections. In theory it will, but I backed up a bunch of system wide stuff, emails, bookmarks, other important files that totaled about 4 gigs and it took roughly 28 hours of constant computer time. So to back up lets say, 250 gigs of movies, holy crappola that would take FOREVER.

The other downside is that of course your internet connection slows to a crawl when backing up. I guess you could try it when your going on vacation or something and let it run the entire time.

I also noticed that it occassionally looses the connection to Mozy and prompts you with a dialog box to reconnect, the backup continues fine, but I think you have to hit OK in order for it to continue which wouldnt be good if you were not near your computer.

On the upside I tested the backup on a few files and it worked flawlessly. At a minimum its a great way to do an offsite backup of your important files.

My next thing will be to backup my 18 gig Iphoto Library. I'll report back on how that works....

Brown.Recluse
Konstantin Prinz

Post by Konstantin Prinz »

Well, 400-500GB external drives in the 100 Euro ballpark range are my way to go.
Honeyko

Post by Honeyko »

For me, ripping is generally about yanking from the limiting confines of DVD/VOB and putting it into a more widely-accessible format. Quality and speed of output is more important than size.

"Epic" films: MPEG4 encoded, PAR Anamorphic, at close to original size, into AVI container. Back-up to data DVD5.

"lesser" films: Varying degrees of squishing to DVD5 percentages.

High-quality "wide-screen" anime/cartoons: MPEG4, 3000 avg bps, or DVD5 percentage.

4x3 ratio TV cartoons: encode in AutoGK with XviD cartoon-mode to DVD5 percentage (usually 235mb or 344mb).
sidechain

Post by sidechain »

I talked a friend to converting his DVD's as well.
We both have 3 - 1 ITB WD drives.
We do back ups every couple of months as new stuff is added so I never have to worry.
delacroixp

@ newbi

Post by delacroixp »

newbi wrote:does anyone know of a raid controller as i think all these external HD's will be a burdon on my iMac proccessor.

I am going to replace my 250GB HD internal drive with a 500GB one so i have a full 2 TB - 1 to backup and 1 to mirror the other, just worried about having four FW drive's plugged into my iMac and streaming to ?Tv plus playing on the internet it might be just a bit to much.
Perhaps you want to consider a 5X1 eSATA Hardware Port Multiplier by Addonics.
You might even consider getting a Shuttle PC case to keep your 5 x 500 GB HDD's stripped and mirrored (2 TB to go)...

:D :twisted: :mrgreen:
Pascal
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I'm loving my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ running the 4.0 firmware. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and have been very impressed with its speed and functionality. I now have 1.4TB of protected storage space where my iTunes library lives (I also backup my purchased content to an external USB drive as well).

Got tired of waiting for Drobo to release a gigabit Ethernet version...