Are you using CQ or ABR?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Tiesto

Are you using CQ or ABR?

Post by Tiesto »

Now that all the built-in presets have gone to using constant quality, i'm wondering if some of you are still using average bitrate for your encodes. If you are using ABR, why? And how are you calculating the bitrate to use?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Are you using CQ or ABR?

Post by nightstrm »

I dont remember the last time I used ABR (except for maybe a concert DVD or two).
stiak

Post by stiak »

I'm using ABR for my PSP video conversions. I used to use a different program for conversions and the settings I use now in handbrake I copied from there. The quality slider is a bit mysterious to me - using the default made my encodes go much slower than I was used to so I stopped using it.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

CRF... I'm insensitive to output size.
luxuryliner

Post by luxuryliner »

If I'm concerned about size the I use ABR. but nostly I'm not and the set a high ABR (which is not the effective data used but a peak which hHB doesn't surpass) with double pass econding. This gives the same fiule size of CQ (if ABR is never surpssed) with alittle better quality.
I recentry encoded all 6 PAL DVDs fo Harry Potter's saga and the higher bitrate used was 2.900 KBit/sec (my pref was set on 3500). The same identical file size and bitrate I obtained with CQ (file size was 2,99 Gbytes).
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

luxuryliner wrote:If I'm concerned about size the I use ABR. but nostly I'm not and the set a high ABR (which is not the effective data used but a peak which hHB doesn't surpass) with double pass econding. This gives the same fiule size of CQ (if ABR is never surpssed) with alittle better quality.
You make no sense at all. ABR is the Average Bit Rate, not the maximum peak bitrate (which can be controlled using x264's vbv options, not from the video tab).
luxuryliner wrote:I recentry encoded all 6 PAL DVDs fo Harry Potter's saga and the higher bitrate used was 2.900 KBit/sec (my pref was set on 3500). The same identical file size and bitrate I obtained with CQ (file size was 2,99 Gbytes).
What do you mean by your pref? How do you calculate the peak bitrate? And could you provide a log, from your post it's really impossible to figure out what you mean by ABR and CQ (let alone figure out the settings you used).
luxuryliner

Post by luxuryliner »

Right. I'm getting confused about ABR and CBR.