Converting to play on desktop DVD players

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Proffy

Converting to play on desktop DVD players

Post by Proffy »

I used to convert my DVD movies into AVI using XVID codec, to play them on my home DVD player. But since 0.94 I am having lots of difficulties in converting them to become playable in my home system.
Using the H.264 is , in my opinion, very improbable to make the final output playable.
Am i doing something wrong? Is there a convertion procedure that overcomes this situation?
Thanks,
Proffy
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Converting to play on desktop DVD players

Post by mduell »

Many DVD players don't support newer codecs like H.264. You'll have to use other tools for your AVI/XviD encoding.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Proffy wrote:I used to convert my DVD movies into AVI using XVID codec, to play them on my home DVD player.
You want to convert your DVDs so that they can play in your DVD player. :roll:

If you need a backup, just buy blank DVD-Rs and copy your disc using a good ripper. You don't need XviD/AVI.
ascianti

Post by ascianti »

The only reason to make all your DVDs XVID to play on a standalone DVD player is to put multiple movies onto a single disc.
If you want a backup, just rip your discs, shrink them with DVD Rebuilder (freeware), and burn them to DVD-R.

Or shell out the dough for the real 1:1 backup solution of DVD+R DL discs (Verbatim media ONLY, no Memorex, no Maxell, no FujiFilm, no RiData, no HP etc.), which are quite expensive.
Proffy

Post by Proffy »

Thank you all for your replies.
In fact, the only reason for converting all my DVD is to reduce the quantity of discs.
And as I have already seen , H.264 is only supported by newer DVD players. SO, I have no chance , as long as I don't buy a new DVD player, correct?
Proffy