Problems with Dolby Surround

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Das Tier

Problems with Dolby Surround

Post by Das Tier »

Hi Guys,

sorry for this newbie question, but I`ve already tried to answer my question with the wiki, but I´m not quite sure whether I got it correctly.

What I want to do: I just want to rip my DVD-Collection to save the movies on my computer. I use a Intelsystem with a Dolby 5.1 system connected directly with my PC. Important for me is that the Dolby Sound is encoded correctly and that I can see the movies in the best possible quality, the size of the files doesn`t really matter. I`ve already tried it with some movies and the result is quite ok, referring to the picture quality I think I found the best settings by myself, but the problem are the correct sound settings I`m not sure whether my settings are really the best.

My settings:

Are these settings ok or are there better settings to reach my "aim"? Concerning the different settings for the german and the english audio I don`t know why it is like that. For the german source he is saving my manual changes and for the english not, I don`t know why.

It would be pretty kind, if anybody could help me.

Regards

Das Tier
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Problems with Dolby Surround

Post by rhester »

There is no "best", there is only "compatible". Without knowing precise details of your surround setup and software player, there's no way to make a sane recommendation. If you want to future-proof it for other playback devices/setup in the future, it becomes even more interesting.

Rodney
Das Tier

Post by Das Tier »

Thanks for your answer! Mmh, precise details of my surround setup and my player, good question. It`s just a simple surround system for PCs, the amplifier is integrated in the subwoofer and the system is directly connected with my PC soundcard; my player is VLC. For me the status quo is important, if I maybe change my technical devices sometimes in the future, I have to find a new solution!
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

VLC should grok AC3-in-MP4 and AC3-in-MKV, so you should be able to use direct passthru without difficulty (and without reducing audio quality).

Rodney
Das Tier

Post by Das Tier »

Thanks again for your quick answer! How does direct passthru works, is there a special setting? Are the settings in my posted picture direct passthru settings? I`ve already read about the direct passthru and I thought it would be the way I`m lookin`for, but I didn`t find a description in the wiki how it works. Sorry for all the questions, but this is really not my area of expertise.

Thanks for your help and patience!

Das Tier
Das Tier

Post by Das Tier »

Sorry, I found out by myself how it works. The Problem was my Handbrake was outdated (still the one from 2008) and the AC3-Passthru wasn`t included there.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Das Tier wrote:Sorry, I found out by myself how it works. The Problem was my Handbrake was outdated (still the one from 2008) and the AC3-Passthru wasn`t included there.
From the screenshots you posted, it's very clear that whatever version of handBrake you used had AC3 passthrough. What do you think "AC3" means in your first screenshot?

I do think it's been renamed to "AC3 Passthrough" (to better reflect what it does) in the current WinGUI, though I rarely use a Windows machine so I'm not sure.
Das Tier

Post by Das Tier »

That makes sense, I just was a little bit dull-witted, I think;-).