Know whether movie has subtitles before encoding?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
crg914

Know whether movie has subtitles before encoding?

Post by crg914 »

I am growing tired of having to rip my movies more than once due to subtitles. Frequently I will rip a move with handbrake, and watch it only to realize it has subtitles which I wasn't aware of before ripping. Then I have to rip it all over again with subtitles. Is there a way to know whether or not a movie has subtitles before I rip it in order to prevent having to rip it more than once? Thanks in advance for any help.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Know whether movie has subtitles before encoding?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If by subtitles you mean forced subtitles, then use Foreign Audio Search (combined with the "Forced Only" option). This will find the correct forced subtitles matching the language of the first audio track (works for most DVDs).

Edit: I forgot to add that there is a bug with Foreign Audio Search in 0.9.4. You'll need to use the snapshot for the feature to work fully:

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13969
crg914

Post by crg914 »

And if I use this feature and the movie doesn't have any forced subtitles, will there be any negative effects or will it just not find subtitles and proceed normally?

Also, have you been using the snapshot with success? I see the disclaimer that it is not stable as of right now.

Thanks
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

crg914 wrote:And if I use this feature and the movie doesn't have any forced subtitles, will there be any negative effects or will it just not find subtitles and proceed normally?
If there aren't any forced subtitles, Foreign Audio Search pass will not add any subtitle track and the encode will proceed normally.
crg914 wrote:Also, have you been using the snapshot with success? I see the disclaimer that it is not stable as of right now.
Yep, it's reasonably stable. I use it for all my encodes right now.
crg914

Post by crg914 »

Thanks you for the quick reply.
splenguin

Post by splenguin »

This is the exact reason why I switched from encoding to MP4/M4V to MKV files, which can contain subtitle tracks without having them burned in. So now I encode everything with subtitles, which can be turned on if required. Of course, this is only a good solution for me because I only play the files back on a laptop with VLC.
ascianti

Post by ascianti »

Uhhh ..... handbrake 0.9.4 supports softsubs in mp4 containers (srt files), those aren't burned in. Good players (VLC) and even quicktime work with them.
You're taking vobsubs I assume? well, those aren't the only kind of subtitle out there.