Temperature problem

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Darkwanderer

Temperature problem

Post by Darkwanderer »

The progman is great, but i realized that it generates a lot of heat when it is encoding. I am having serious problems when converting large files since the computer just shutsdown suddenlyi because of the heat. I know the problem is with the heat cause i used cpu-temp to be sure. I have intel core quad cpu and when converting files, the first processors heat boost up like 20 degrees and keeps going until the computer is shut down. I don't know if anyone is having the same problem, so can anyone help me with this?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Temperature problem

Post by s55 »

Speak to your PC manufacturer. If it's overheating, it's going to need to work done on it.

If you want to fix it yourself and get into the guts of the machine, try a hardware forum like pcper or neowin.
baggss

Post by baggss »

My G5 Quad does the same thing. I have to keep the CPUs throttled back when ripping video. Hopefully your machine is still under some sort of warranty.
irkillroy

Post by irkillroy »

when I'm ripping movies my DVD drive starts acting crazy if I'm doing more than one at a time. Generally I have to wait 10 - 15 min between movies so it rips at it's max FPS. Oddly enough the older version of Handbrake on the Mac did make this happen. I'm sure it has something to do with that the new one is 64 bit optimized and is using more of the CPU than the older one but that's just an assumption with no evidence to support it.