XVID, AVI, AVCHD repost

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
eniwetok

XVID, AVI, AVCHD repost

Post by eniwetok »

There was NO need to lock my previous thread. I was NOT asking for support. This was a general forum so I posted here.
I was just asking if this was a known problem with XVID in v.0.9.3. If it is, there are far more capable DIVX/XVID encoders out there like AVIDEMUX. I just happen to like the decomb filter in HandBrake.

Perhaps SOMEONE doesn’t mind addressing this even if you, s55, think it’s irrelevant.

I also raised a host of other issues such as why XVID and AVI are being dropped in favor of H264 when currently there may be LESS DVD player support for H264 data disks than AVI… and if HandBrake is concerned about moving ahead, what about support for AVCHD?
Old Issue With XVID in v0.9.3
by eniwetok » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:48 pm
I know XVID and AVI are discontinued in the latest version of HandBrake... but I still use the old v.0.9.3 because I'm finding out that almost no Blu-Ray players support data disks with H264 files (except PS3) as I hoped... which makes me wonder will there ever be support for AVCHD? In the mean time I do have two players that play DIVX/XVID. I know there are other XVID encoders out there but I like HandBrake's decomb feature and generally have been pleased with the results...

But I noticed that trying to encode some DVD 29.97 FPS video to XVID... I keep getting 23FPS. This is regardless if I set the frame rate to "SAME AS SOURCE" or specifically to 29.97FPS.

Any ideas? Was this a known problem?
Re: Old Issue With XVID in v0.9.3
by s55 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:53 pm
Old versions of HandBrake are no longer supported.
eniwetok

Re: XVID, AVI, AVCHD repost

Post by eniwetok »

Forget about the FPS question. All my encodes from the past few days are fine.

It's just today this 23FPS problem popped up.
jkbc
Novice

Post by jkbc »

eniwetok wrote:Perhaps SOMEONE doesn’t mind addressing this even if you, s55, think it’s irrelevant.
That's where you're wrong. s55 is a developer and as part of the development team, has decided to not support 0.9.3 since the release of 0.9.4.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

What does the line immediately below the General forum's title say on the main page?
General discussion of HandBrake - not for tech support
Your initial post would probably have been better posted in the Devices forum, although it probably would still have been locked as we will no longer support the 0.9.3 release.

As for AVCHD support, since this is simply AVC video and AC3 audio in a m2ts container, couldn't you simply remux your video post encode using something like tsmuxer? I see many occasions where making your workflow a two step process would be far simpler and likely to succeed than trying to browbeat the developers into adding a particular feature.

Just to clarify this point one more time. This is not a democracy, and the Handbrake developers are in no way obliged to cater to every individuals particular workflow.