MOV to M4V/MP4

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
realityking
Veteran User

MOV to M4V/MP4

Post by realityking »

Hi,
I'm looking for a way to change a MOV File into an M$V File. The content is combatible (h264 Video + AAC 5.1 Audio)

Thanks in advance
saintdev
Enlightened

Post by saintdev »

Rename it...
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

I already tried that, but the result isn't a valid mp4 File. (Makes sense, doesn't it))

does anybody else has an idea?
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Hi realityking,

Unfortunately, in its MP4 exporter, QuickTime won't allow passthru of the source soundtrack if it has 6 channels. It'll only allow 2 channel AAC to be passed through. Possibly 6 channel AAC audio isn't allowed in the official MP4 specification (this is a guess), and the QuickTime MP4 exporter is being strict about it.

My main question would be - why do you need to convert your .mov to .mp4 or .m4v (which is pretty much the same thing)? And where are your source .mov files from? HandBrake couldn't have created them...

- maurj.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Originally it was a mp4 File from Handbrake (thus containing 6 channel AAC Audio), then I used MetadataHootenanny on it not realizing it saves the result as mov and not as m4v. The Results I've got with MetadataHootenanny weren't what I wanted so I tried Lostify which is what I want - however I can't process movs.

However I've finally found a Solution: VLC can change the codec without re-encoding.

Thanks to anyone who tried to help :)
daveynyc

Post by daveynyc »

realityking wrote:Originally it was a mp4 File from Handbrake (thus containing 6 channel AAC Audio), then I used MetadataHootenanny on it not realizing it saves the result as mov and not as m4v. The Results I've got with MetadataHootenanny weren't what I wanted so I tried Lostify which is what I want - however I can't process movs.

However I've finally found a Solution: VLC can change the codec without re-encoding.

Could you pls elaborate on how you did this? I haven't had any success transcoding an mov file out of MetaHootenanny into an m4v/mp4 with VLC.
It has sound but no video, only a white screen.

Thanks in advance.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

daveynyc wrote:
realityking wrote:Originally it was a mp4 File from Handbrake (thus containing 6 channel AAC Audio), then I used MetadataHootenanny on it not realizing it saves the result as mov and not as m4v. The Results I've got with MetadataHootenanny weren't what I wanted so I tried Lostify which is what I want - however I can't process movs.

Could you pls elaborate on how you did this? I haven't had any success transcoding an mov file out of MetaHootenanny into an m4v/mp4 with VLC.
It has sound but no video, only a white screen.

Thanks in advance.
I ended up with the same result, after noticing taht I lost my chapter markers as well i just deleted the files and I'm going to reencode them.