Best way to rip

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
nickp

Best way to rip

Post by nickp »

Question for everyone smarter then me. I have a mac and am wondering what the best settings are to rip if I will be watching movies off my computer or external to my computer to my TV via mini display port to HDMI. I am curious as to what the settings are that will give me the best quality possible. Thank you!
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Best way to rip

Post by TedJ »

With the current developer snapshots and the upcoming 0.9.4 release, the majority of the built in presets utilise constant quality encoding so in theory your encodes should appear very similar regardless of the preset used. Where you'll need to make a decision is in regard to encode speed vs. encoded file size - Of the current presets, High Profile will give the smallest encodes, at the expense of a significantly slower encoding speed and higher CPU load during playback.

That being said, I often use a tweaked version of the Apple TV preset as it provides a good balance between file size and encode speed.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

TedJ wrote:With the current developer snapshots and the upcoming 0.9.4 release, the majority of the built in presets utilise constant quality encoding so in theory your encodes should appear very similar regardless of the preset used. Where you'll need to make a decision is in regard to encode speed vs. encoded file size - Of the current presets, High Profile will give the smallest encodes, at the expense of a significantly slower encoding speed and higher CPU load during playback.

That being said, I often use a tweaked version of the Apple TV preset as it provides a good balance between file size and encode speed.
Looks like theres a bunch of variations there, which one are you using? It looks like these are pretty awesome settings.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Generally speaking, I'd prefer the ones later in the thread as they've been tuned versus current code - I'd take a look at dynaflash's most recent settings.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

TedJ wrote:Generally speaking, I'd prefer the ones later in the thread as they've been tuned versus current code - I'd take a look at dynaflash's most recent settings.
Thank you! I will do that!

So just to be clear we're talking about this post specifically:
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... =75#p63980

and I would pick the apple tv preset and then add this to the advanced settings?
ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:me=hex:subq=7:b-adapt=2:8x8dct=1:weightb=0:trellis=0:weightp=0
i'm still new to all of this and have certainly never tackled the advanced settings, but I do want to get better!