Best settings for Concerts

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
adamschoales

Best settings for Concerts

Post by adamschoales »

So I just ripped my Madonna concert DVD as universal (my standard go-to preset) and was shocked to see that the filesize was over 3gb. The show is only 2 hours and Vertigo (which clocks in at nearly 2.5 hours) was only 1.3 gb or therebouts.

So... what are some of the best settings for a concert? I understand that theres a lot of motion and stuff like that going on but iTunes sells the same concert and theirs clocks in at 1.5 gb (though I think their frame size might be a bit smaller). Also I should note I encoded the 2.0 PCM audio as AAC rather than working with the 5.1 DTS (maybe it'd be a better choice?)

Any suggestions?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Best settings for Concerts

Post by TedJ »

Only thing I can suggest is turning the quality down a bit... concerts are notorious for bloating bitrates.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

okay cool. would CBR be better than VBR? Or should I stick to VBR and just turn it down a bit?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

adamschoales wrote:okay cool. would CBR be better than VBR? Or should I stick to VBR and just turn it down a bit?
You should just turn constant quality down a bit.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

one last question: deinterlace vs decomb?
The concert has LOTS of movement so I'm not sure what would be wiser? Decomb (default) or deinterlace (on the slowest setting to ensure best quality).
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

any thoughts? decomb? deinterlace?