HandBrake SVN2845 Snapshot

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
DillonTheCat

Re: HandBrake SVN2845 Snapshot

Post by DillonTheCat »

Hi There,

I expect the answer to this question is "when it's ready", but I'll ask anyway :)

Is there an estimated delivery date for 0.94 ? I only ask because I am about to begin a MAJOR re-coding exercise, and it would be good to use the latest version (sounds like it will be faster on Snow Leopard, and will result in smaller file sizes).

Loving you work ...
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

It's difficult to give even a firm estimate on the 0.9.4 release, but I can tell you that Handbrake is currently in feature freeze - no new code is being added and we're concentrating on bug fixes prior to release. As such, you can start re-encoding with the assurance that there won't be any major changes prior to release.

A stable release is very likely within the next 2-3 weeks.
astroboi

Post by astroboi »

Sorry for the noob question, this is the first time I've used a snapshot build. Is there any way to modify the picture settings (cropping, anamorphic, etc) via the Mac GUI? Or do I need the CLI for that?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

astroboi wrote:Sorry for the noob question, this is the first time I've used a snapshot build. Is there any way to modify the picture settings (cropping, anamorphic, etc) via the Mac GUI? Or do I need the CLI for that?
Shift-Command-P or the Picture Settings button on the main toolbar.
astroboi

Post by astroboi »

TedJ wrote: Shift-Command-P or the Picture Settings button on the main toolbar.
Thanks.. I still had the set of toolbar icons from the previous version :/
Daiken

Post by Daiken »

I'm liking the new release guys. I was using 0.9.3 before but was unsatisfied with the quality (using Film preset) due to what seemed like a lot of grain appearing in the video everywhere (more so than the DVD and prior HB versions). I tried 0.9.4 (High profile) and found a noticeable reduction of grain across the board (same amount as DVD now). Normal profile has even less grain, but it's replaced with banding of colours across gradients. I had a difficult time deciding which preset to use since the grainy version is more like the dvd, except sometimes the grain/noise starts to flicker rapidly and becomes a distraction (particularly on objects with little texture like skies and walls). Banding looks bad if you look at it, but it doesn't draw your eye like flickering grain does. Also, I'm noticing file sizes are generally also reduced on DVD's so that's a big bonus. And I've finally got soft subtitles for mkv files! Only ran into one problem so far where the program always hangs while encoding the movie Cars. Anyways, I appreciate all the great work you guys have done. Now I also gotta decide to stick with mkv or switch to m4v...
schtooping

Post by schtooping »

TedJ wrote:
astroboi wrote:Sorry for the noob question, this is the first time I've used a snapshot build. Is there any way to modify the picture settings (cropping, anamorphic, etc) via the Mac GUI? Or do I need the CLI for that?
Shift-Command-P or the Picture Settings button on the main toolbar.
Thanks this was confusing me alot, as where it used to be there is just a blank space ... maybe change it to "custom picture settings" or something to more clearly relate to the old versions custom options, becasue I checked the window menu and skipped right over it cause I was looking for the word custom, like verison 9.3.
Kosacke

Post by Kosacke »

If i choose mp4 Container format the file extension automatically change to m4v and it´s not possible to avoid this. Is it a SVN2845 problem?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

No, it's a feature. Quicktime requires the m4v extension to enable certain features like ac3, chapter markers, and subtitles. Even though the bits in the file are *exactly* the same, quicktime will not provide access to these things without the m4v extension in the filename.
pulsorock

Post by pulsorock »

Hi!

I'm new to HandBrake and decided to use SVN2845 Snapshot (Windows) to take advantage of the latest development features.

What I want to do is convert my collection of DVD movies and rip them to be playable in my WDTV HD Media Player. I want to keep the subtitles of the original DVDs so I'll use mkv since is supported by WDTV.

However, since I'm new using the program, I don't know what preset or settings should I use. I'm guessing it should be something in the Regular presets. But not sure what are the differences between Normal and High Profile presets. What are the recommended uses for these profiles and which one should I use?

Thanks!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

I recommend searching through the Devices forum for other user's suggestions on encoding for the WDTV.
Kosacke

Post by Kosacke »

JohnAStebbins wrote:No, it's a feature. Quicktime requires the m4v extension to enable certain features like ac3, chapter markers, and subtitles. Even though the bits in the file are *exactly* the same, quicktime will not provide access to these things without the m4v extension in the filename.
Big thank for your explanation.

Will the PS3 play a m4v file? With mp4 is works fine.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Kosacke wrote:Will the PS3 play a m4v file? With mp4 is works fine.
The PS3 has no issues playing a file with a .m4v suffix, because that's the only difference to a .mp4 - the filename.
Kosacke

Post by Kosacke »

TedJ wrote:
Kosacke wrote:Will the PS3 play a m4v file? With mp4 is works fine.
The PS3 has no issues playing a file with a .m4v suffix, because that's the only difference to a .mp4 - the filename.
Big Thx! Great support here!
livelife

Post by livelife »

Greetings, folks!
Please excuse a bit of gushing gratitude, but it’s worth it to me:
SVN2845 is not supposed to support AVI, but it is the ONLY tool (including 0.9.3) that I have ever found that could finally open an _ancient_ AVI, display the video, and make it playable and convert it to H.264.
I’m stunned; I’ve been looking for such a solution for years.
So please forgive me for thanking you all for something it’s not supposed to be able to do!
Thank you, thank you.
THANK YOU!!
;-)
mac_man_ad
Experienced

Post by mac_man_ad »

It does not support AVI output. Input should still be fine.

Anyway, VLC or mplayer should play them if HB can open them. The same underlying library is used by them all for AVI opening.
HandBrake

Post by HandBrake »

New Snapshot Released

Thread Locked