Anamorphic Revisited

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mrmugno
Novice

Anamorphic Revisited

Post by mrmugno »

First off, kick ass update to the developers. Truly becoming a first rate product to compete with the pay-for software programs out there.

I may get blasted on this, and my question also belongs under the ATV section, but:

Encoding source 720x480 (Pulp Fiction) to Output: 704x370, Anamorphic 839x370.

Why is the resulting output not maximized to the original source? Am I misunderstood in what anamorphic's purpose is?

The real problem here is that I find it difficult to understand the write up on the Anamorphic setting and I do not yet have an ATV to check the output on. (I connect my MBP direct to a WSTV via DVI and of course QT is not displaying the file in the same manner as popping the DVD into a player. If ATV rectifies this just quote this bit and tell me to shut up) While the new 0.8.5b1 beta produces an un-vertically stretched video for QT, is the output identical to the source for original viewing like if the DVD was in a player??

My concern for this derives from the fact that HB is listing the above mentioned picture settings as such. It is not providing an end output identical to the source, at least in terms of width and height numbers.

Thanks
mrmugno
Novice

Post by mrmugno »

Sorry, to caveat, I do have an XBox360 and hopefully if ATV is displaying the anamorphic files is true context so will Xbox.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

With anamorphic on, you encode the exact visible frame on the DVD, with no scaling.