How to preserve resolution/maximum quality?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
davidw89

How to preserve resolution/maximum quality?

Post by davidw89 »

I'm mostly riping MKV BluRay rips with resolution of either 720p or 1080p. I'm riping them to m4v files so that i can catalogue them in iTunes (later remux with soft sub). However the preset Universal cuts the resolution significantly and the preset High profile cuts the length(or width) to "anamorphic". What's the best setting in my case? If i change it in picture setting do i just change the resolution and that's it?
Also constant quality around 60%??
rhester
Veteran User

Re: How to preserve resolution/maximum quality?

Post by rhester »

Apple Universal uses the maximum capabilities of the lowest-common-denominator device (iPhone), which is *NOT* capable of HD at all. The Apple TV preset has more capabilities (higher resolution/b-frames, etc.), but is still not capable of full HD.

Rodney
davidw89

Post by davidw89 »

Ok if it was purely for archieving, how would you go about doing this? DO not need AppleTV/iPhone/iPod compatibility, as i can convert it down the road.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Archiving usually assumes you will be archiving the unmodified source and converting *it* to the desired device-specific target format...otherwise, what's the point? By encoding a lossy source (H.264 Blu-Ray/HD) into a lossy format (H.264 main or high profile) to convert a third time to a lossy format (H.264 baseline), you're just throwing away quality for no good reason.

Rodney