Pegging the CPUs... encodes.

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Frank
Novice

Pegging the CPUs... encodes.

Post by Frank »

Noticed an interesting thing the other day...

comparing a Dual G5 2.5 vs a MacBook 2.0 Core2Duo

same files involved, all energy settings set for max performance (no other processes running of note).

Dual G5 2.5 flies along and has both CPUs pegged at 100% while encoding.
Core2Duo has both cores going at 50% only, even with it plugged into the wall. (also used coolbook set to force the CPU to 2GHz instead of being autothrottled down)

So why won't the Core2Duo exceed 50% usage of each core?

Curious
Deleted User 134

Post by Deleted User 134 »

This may be unrelated but more often than not MediaFork runs the CPUs in my MacBook at around 70% each unless I pause the encode, sleep and wake the MacBook and then continue the encode - both processors then reach 90 to 95%.
Flapple

Post by Flapple »

I got a similar problem with the CPUs.

I’m just encoding a movie and started off with 2 CPUs on 60% (max)
Halfway during the encoding the CPUs reached a maximum of 30%
Sometimes the CPU usage went up for a short period to 50% but returned back to 30% shortly after.

I also use a MacBook Pro Core Duo. My setup at the moment is to decode a dvd movie from my internal hd to ex external hd. I did rip a dvd on a constant 60% from DVD to harddrive. But I would expect it would be quicker from hd to hd. Are there any other MacBook Pro users with the same problem?
zen649

Post by zen649 »

I just noticed this on the new verison of Handbrake. The cpu never got above about 60 percent. I am using a dual G5. Mediafork pegs the cpu on the same file(DVD folder).
baggss

Post by baggss »

zen649 wrote:I just noticed this on the new verison of Handbrake. The cpu never got above about 60 percent. I am using a dual G5. Mediafork pegs the cpu on the same file(DVD folder).
When the CPU is pegged, do you actually get faster encode times with the same settings?
zen649

Post by zen649 »

I noticed that in addition to the CPU not pegging the fps were about 2/5 as fast (between 5 and 6). I will do more testing. I have a Mac Mini that I will try on the same DVD folder.
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

It's hard to do an exact comparison since MediaFork 0.8.0b1 doesn't seem to permit the exact x264 encoding setting as Handbrake 0.8.5b1 does. (re: advanced settings etc). I guess this is where CLI is to be used? ;)