Extract Audio from Video

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
adlc

Extract Audio from Video

Post by adlc »

I have tried HandBrake a cople of times, and it works great.
I wanted to ask if any one knows of an application (similar to handBrake)that would let me extract audio files from video files.
For example, take a DVD rip it and get an audio file, ex mp3.
Or take a DVD, use handBrake, rip it, get a "movie version" of it,
then extract audio from the result product that HandBrake gave me to get an audio file, ex mp3
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

I suppose you want solutions for a mac:
Extracting audio from a video file: Open the video with QuickTime Pro or QT Sync and choose Export > sound to aiff. You can drop an aiff file in iTunes to convert it to mp3 or burn it to an audioCD.
Extracting audio directly from a DVD: use MacTheRipper (Title Only extraction or Title-Chapter extraction), Click on the 'D' (demux) button and on streams to extract only the audio (ac3 format). You can convert ac3 to mp3 with FFMpegX, or convert it to aiff with MAC3dec or bd4go.
adlc

quicktime pro

Post by adlc »

your solution sounds great, except I do not have QT Pro.
I was thinking of a freeware version. I have been looking everywhere, but found nothing. Im not a crazy movie producer, but I guess QT Pro would be a good compliment to iMovie.
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

QT Sync is freeware and has the same export function.
iTrip

Post by iTrip »

Does anyone no a way to import an AC3 file that is not on a DVD? I want to use HandBrake to convert the AC3 to 6 Channel AAC audio? Or is there another program the will do this?
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Just wondering, how do you know if its that kind of disc? I'm wondering the same thing. cause I wanna take the audio off of the dvd. anyone willing to help?