HandBrake 0.8.5b1 -- Released!

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
AMOLL

Re: DMG Errors?

Post by AMOLL »

If your on panther (10.3.9) you cant open it. The GUI is not Panther compliant.

If you on Tiger, then I am not sure what the issue is.[/quote]

Not Panther Compliant!? I think that is a major programming flaw. I think alot of people use their older PPC's to encode and convert. This should be announced clearly as to avoid any further confusion.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Its most definatly not a major flaw. Its called moving forwards. Some of the features / coding techniques require 10.4+ in order to function correctly. Nothing we can do about that.

Its already been said its not 10.3 compliant and also it says 10.4 or above on the download page...

The CLI will work fine with 3.9
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

AMOLL wrote:I think alot of people use their older PPC's to encode and convert.
And guess what? Those older PPCs can run Tiger. Which has been out for 2 years now. And is quite reasonably priced, considering all the major changes in it ( http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars ).
DeaPeaJay

Post by DeaPeaJay »

acraft wrote:
dynaflash wrote:If your on panther (10.3.9) you cant open it. The GUI is not Panther compliant.

If you on Tiger, then I am not sure what the issue is.
I'm on Tiger (10.4.9) PPC. I'll try a different machine and see what happens. I'm sure there would be many more posts if there were something wrong with the file.

UPDATE: For anyone else having this problem, the full file (15MB) linked from VersionTracker.com works fine for me.

Thanks.
It's not just you. I have the same problem. The default program it opens with is BOMArchiveHelper and it doesn't do anything. So I opened it with Stuffit Expander and got the same error as you after that. No mountable filesystems.

The one on Versiontracker doesn't have that .bz2 extension on it. I suspect it will mount just fine. You guys might want to look into that.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

DeaPeaJay wrote:It's not just you. I have the same problem. The default program it opens with is BOMArchiveHelper and it doesn't do anything. So I opened it with Stuffit Expander and got the same error as you after that. No mountable filesystems.

The one on Versiontracker doesn't have that .bz2 extension on it. I suspect it will mount just fine. You guys might want to look into that.
Uh...I just downloaded the 5 meg .dmg and it mounts fine. Seems to me the problem is on your end, not something we need to look into. Are you sure you're using Tiger?
acraft

UPDATE 2

Post by acraft »

Okay. I've figured out what is causing the problem. Now, hopefully, someone can explain why.

When you download with Safari the file saved to the desktop is named is HandBrake-0.8.5b1-MacOS_UB_GUI.dmg.bz2

Unzipping the .bz2 creates the DMG which does not mount properly.

But when you download with Firefox the file saved to the desktop is named is HandBrake-0.8.5b1-MacOS_UB_GUI.dmg

It's missing the .bz2 extension . . . and the DMG opens perfectly. So, the issue seems to be the way Safari saves the file to the desktop. But it makes no sense to me!?

But again, since there isn't an outcry from others (many of whom I assume use Safari) the mystery remains.

BTW, I'm using Safari 2.0.4 (419.3).

UPDATE 3: Downloading with Safari and simply removing the .bz2 extension and then opening the DMG works as well. The problem is with Safari's appending of an erroneous extension. The file, as I suspected all along, is fine.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: UPDATE 2

Post by jbrjake »

acraft wrote:When you download with Safari the file saved to the desktop is named is HandBrake-0.8.5b1-MacOS_UB_GUI.dmg.bz2
Not for me...Safari downloads it for me as a .dmg and mounts it fine.
macjonte

Post by macjonte »

If you use safari and have the default option "open safe files after download" setting, this problem occurs.
Maybe not MIME-settings for this extension on the web server?

anyway, finally a new verison of handbrake, I have been waiting so long! And surround sound support, yay! Now I will rerip my entire DVD-collection!

And then the happiness got shaded. When I choose to encode the DVD audio track English (AC3) (5.0 ch) to "Dolby Surround" I get two channels in the QuickTime-file anyway. And my stereo also says two channels. Has anyone else made a working rip with more than 2 channels?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

macjonte wrote:When I choose to encode the DVD audio track English (AC3) (5.0 ch) to "Dolby Surround" I get two channels in the QuickTime-file anyway. And my stereo also says two channels. Has anyone else made a working rip with more than 2 channels?
DPL2 is a two channel stereo track. Always has been.
macjonte

Post by macjonte »

dynaflash wrote:
macjonte wrote:When I choose to encode the DVD audio track English (AC3) (5.0 ch) to "Dolby Surround" I get two channels in the QuickTime-file anyway. And my stereo also says two channels. Has anyone else made a working rip with more than 2 channels?
I choosed "Dolby Surround", not DPL2 (Dolby ProLogic II) from the menu.
I made a rip with the setting on "6-channel discrete" also, and this time QT Player actually shows 6 channels, but my stereo still says two. VLC also says two channels.

If I want to preserve the multichannel sound in my ripped file, what is the best to choose?
OSMacintosh
Novice

Handbrake - Update Encoders

Post by OSMacintosh »

Hello,

From what I know of you updated the encoders used in Handbrake and they are without a doubt stunning. All I have to say is WOW... now I compiled this version of Handbrake before it was a public beta, and I am amazed at how 2-pass really does make a HUGE difference now in the new handbrake than before (which is a good thing).

I am one that is OBSESSED with quality, and so I normally back my movies up on hard drives USB ones. I can proudly say I have over a Terabyte, but it is gets expensive after a while (almost already filled)... so I started testing the newest public beta, and find it to be very stable! And even iPod movie quality looks CLOSE to DVD when using 2-pass. It is far more visually enhanced than if you took that DVD and compressed it to 4GB (for single layer DVD). :D

Thanks again for the work, I already have my Mac/Windows buddies using the latest versions. Keep up the good work.
mobtek

Post by mobtek »

nekogami13 wrote:Uhhhm, I go to the download site and nothing happens.
No download, nothing.
yuppers same problem here on Tiger with the safe downloads option turned off on Safari, in Firefox nothing even downloads, at least in Safari I get the corrupted .Bz append :P
Wget is your friend
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

macjonte wrote:
dynaflash wrote:
I choosed "Dolby Surround", not DPL2 (Dolby ProLogic II) from the menu.
I made a rip with the setting on "6-channel discrete" also, and this time QT Player actually shows 6 channels, but my stereo still says two. VLC also says two channels.

If I want to preserve the multichannel sound in my ripped file, what is the best to choose?
If you are using a single digital cable (such as the optical output on current macs), then the only 5-channel signal your preamp will understand is AC-3. Set your rips to AC-3 passthrough, and what is on the DVD is what you will get.

If, on the other hand, you are willing to spend $50 on an analog break-out box, then you can use 6-channel discrete AAC compression and get a surround signal.

The real buzz-kill is if you have any DTS disks. If you have optical, the current version of HB will not pass them through, because it can't read them.

If you have a 6-channel box, a future version of HB is expected to be able to transcode them to AAC, but if all your sound is going through an analog box, you lose the ability to play DTS disks directly from the Mac or PC's DVD player and get any sound at all without switching up your configuration.

My own solution is to use the optical out, compress all my TV shows and non-DTS movies with HB using AC-3 pass-through if it's surround (or a hi-fi experience, such as a concert video), or using AAC if it's stereo.

All my DTS disks remain as unaltered VIDEO_TS rips.