Standards Conversion for final DVD output?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
adamschoales

Standards Conversion for final DVD output?

Post by adamschoales »

Okay so this ones going to sound weird but hear me out.

I have this concert DVD that's in the PAL format (recorded by a friend over in the UK off a TV broadcast then sent to me). Problem is I can't play a PAL DVD. So I thought perhaps trying to do a framerate conversion with Handbrake.

So I chose the iPhone/iPod Touch format, changed the flag for framerate, added the deinterlace and VOILA! Worked like a charm.

Thing is I really want to watch this on my TV with a DVD player - but was so impressed by the frame rate conversion I wondered if there was a good setting for creating a fairly uncompressed video file, in NTSC, which I could then throw into Compressor or another DVD authoring software.

Any thoughts/ideas/solutions?

Perhaps handbrake isn't the best man for the job - if not does anyone have some solutions?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Standards Conversion for final DVD output?

Post by TedJ »

Handbrake definitely isn't the best tool for the job... I recommend using MPEG Streamclip to export to NTSC DV, including frame blending. You can then take the resulting DV clip into your DVD authoring package of choice.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

Okay thanks for the suggestion. I had heard lots of good things about streamclip but no one even mentioned WHAT to export as (they all just said "export with mpeg streamclip"). I gotta say that Handbrake does do a PHENOMENAL job though.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

also should have asked:
Quicktime Movie with DV Compression OR DV Stream? also, deinterlace or no?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Whether or not to encapsulate in quicktime is up to you - if it improves compatibility with your apps then feel free. You shouldn't need to deinterlace as the conversion to DV will change the field dominance appropriately, although you may get some funkiness with the blended frames.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

well i did the "non-deinterlace" method last night. everything looked great other than the lines (the field combing) on the video. Not sure if when I converted to a DVD file and burned to DVD if they'd still be present... but I'm doing a second conversion now WITH Deinterlace turned on just to be safe. we'll see how it looks.