Did the PS3 settings change?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
gdarch

Did the PS3 settings change?

Post by gdarch »

Ive been using handbrake 0.9.2 to encode my dvds. i start with the ps3 default then tweak it a bit.
fps: passthrough
encoder: h.264
avg bitrate: 1800
anamorphic: on
audio: 6 channel
chpaters: on

this all gave me a good mp4, but with 0.9.3 i keep getting m4v. whats the deal, can i force it to encode mp4? whats jvt/avc coding? (i see that when i open in qt and look at inspector) i dont have my ps3 currently to try it out but i dont want to waste time encoding more dvds only to find out that the file wont play. any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

p.s.- i play all of these off an external drive plugged into the ps3
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Did the PS3 settings change?

Post by TedJ »

jvt/avc is h264 by another name. m4v and mp4 are functionally identical and is required for Apple hardware to recognise chapters, AC3 audio and subtitles.
gdarch

Post by gdarch »

does any one know if the new file container works on the ps3... like i said, i don't have access to mine as i gave it to my little brother when i moved. thanks
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not a new container. mp4 = m4v. With HB there is no difference in the file. If the PS3 doesn't like the m4v extension, you can simply rename the file to .mp4

I can't say what settings will work on the PS3 as I don't own one.
Headrush69

Post by Headrush69 »

s55 wrote:It's not a new container. mp4 = m4v. With HB there is no difference in the file. If the PS3 doesn't like the m4v extension, you can simply rename the file to .mp4

I can't say what settings will work on the PS3 as I don't own one.
I would suggest checking out the Handbrake svn2592 build.
The AppleTV preset MINUS the large file support works terrific on the PS3. (I also turn Detelecine and Decomb on)

The m4v extension works fine too. (This is on lastest PS3 firmware, in case it matters)

150 DVDs encoded using this and looks absolutely terrific on a 42" 1080p Widescreen.
sidewalking

Post by sidewalking »

Headrush69 wrote:I would suggest checking out the Handbrake svn2592 build.
The AppleTV preset MINUS the large file support works terrific on the PS3. (I also turn Detelecine and Decomb on)

The m4v extension works fine too. (This is on lastest PS3 firmware, in case it matters)

150 DVDs encoded using this and looks absolutely terrific on a 42" 1080p Widescreen.
@Headrush69: Thanks for posting this info. This is probably the first confirmation I have seen on a setting (for the PS3) that didn't have level 4.1 specified ("level=41" in the "Advanced" string).

Can you confirm that you:

a) do NOT use "level=41" or
b) do NOT use "Strict" anamorphic settings (AppleTV uses "Loose" anamorphic as the default)?

With a 2.35:1 AR clip (Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix), I get a 718x358 output size with "Strict" selected, and the same clip gives me a 720x352 with "Loose" anamorphic selected (even though both size are correctly 2.35:1).

Thanks for the help, as I don't have a PS3 yet, but should in the next couple of months and want to be sure.

BTW, do you use an avg Kbps setting, like 2500, or a CQ setting for all of those 150 movies that look good on a full size display?

Thanks!
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Libx264 autosets level these days.
sidewalking

Post by sidewalking »

jbrjake wrote:Libx264 autosets level these days.
Autoset by the Handbrake preset? But we need to override it by specifying in the "Advanced" section if we need to for PS3 compatibility? I don't know if 4.1 is required anymore, it seems like it isn't. I think the number of B-Frames for a given resolution is the main limiter in PS3 nowadays, but I was pretty sure it was 4, and most presets use lower than this anyway.

I was just curious if Headrush69 could confirm that his setting really was untouched except for the "Large Filesize" box, which would mean that a non-level 4.1, Loose anamorphic encode not only works but looks really good on the PS3 on Headrush69's display.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

I have done several encodes using 0.9.3 and current SVN based on the ATV preset, with CABAC minus large file support and they work flawlessly on the PS3's I've tested them on. The PS3 doesn't read the AC3 track or the embedded chapters, but it doesn't choke on them either.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

sidewalking wrote:
Autoset by the Handbrake preset?
But we need to override it by specifying in the "Advanced" section if we need to for PS3 compatibility?
What part of "Libx264 autosets level" don't you understand?
a non-level 4.1, Loose anamorphic encode not only works but looks really good on the PS3 on Headrush69's display.
Again: libx264 autosets level.
sidewalking

Post by sidewalking »

jbrjake wrote:
I obviously didn't understand what it sets it to, or I wouldn't have asked. Your sentence doesn't tell me if adding a parameter in the advanced settings will override it or not.

Is it set by the preset in Handbrake? Or is it just "autoset" to one level for everything? Seriously, I was just asking for clarification because I don't know if the advanced settings string works or matters anymore and I am using an undocumented SVN build.

You really didn't need to be like that with me.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

sidewalking wrote:
jbrjake wrote:
Is it set by the preset in Handbrake?
jbrjake said: libx264 autosets level. Libx264 is libx264. Where did you get the idea that the HandBrake preset set the level? If the level were set by the preset, jbrjake would have said "the preset sets the level", but, oh, he didn't.
sidewalking wrote:Or is it just "autoset" to one level for everything? Seriously, I was just asking for clarification because I don't know if the advanced settings string works or matters anymore and I am using an undocumented SVN build.
Libx264 sets the appropriate level automatically, depending on your other settings. You can override it, but it's not necessary.
sidewalking

Post by sidewalking »

Rodeo wrote:Where did you get the idea that the HandBrake preset set the level?
I was under the impression that different devices have different restrictions (such as resolution, bitrate, level), and the Handbrake presets appear to be there to help target for those purposes, so I thought that this was included as a factor. But if Libx264 is smart enough to autoset it based on the other settings, then that is pretty cool. Thanks for clarifying that for me. :D