Chrome OS?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Chrome OS?

Post by ssj2_goha »

I know this is in the future and this might not be the right thread, but what are the developers thoughts on porting handbrake over to / integrating it into the chrome OS?

Some info: Google announces Chrome OS
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Chrome OS?

Post by TedJ »

No plans as yet, it's very hard to port to an OS that's little more than a press release. ;)
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

Purely speculating... but if the Chrome OS is a pretty layer on top of Linux, then the HB LinGUI should largely cover this surely.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

My understanding is that they are developing their own graphical environment. i.e. Not using X windows. I also sincerely doubt that they will be including ether gtk or qt. So the UI would have to be rewritten from scratch.
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Post by ssj2_goha »

Yeah from what I understand they are building everything from the ground up. I'm really liking the fact that it's going to be all open source, So in all honesty wouldn't it be possible to integrate something like handbrake into the actual OS as something like an extension?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Given that the entire point of Chrome OS is to decentralize applications and move into "the web is the application" space, I expect the API for "fat"/local applications to be somewhat sparse. It would likely not be a suitable target for HandBrake as anything more than a curio at best...this OS is almost certainly not going to "take over the world" as pundits have mused over. It has a very simple mission - get away from the poor performance on netbooks by putting the applications on web-based servers instead, providing feature-rich "applications" through Gears and making true document collaboration and migration a reality.

That having been said, it's been tried before (by Microsoft and others) and failed miserably. I really don't think this iteration will be any different. Rich, local applications have historically dominated for a reason, and lack of bandwidth and robust web APIs was not it.

Rodney