Subsequent recordings yield different formats: mp4 and m4v

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
paularenson

Subsequent recordings yield different formats: mp4 and m4v

Post by paularenson »

Hello,

I two took films that were on DVD (both previously made from my own analog VHS tapes). Both were about two hours.

I THOUGHT I had the same settings, but one came out mp4 and the other m4v. While I understand these are sort of equivalents, I am curious what I might have done differently to get the two results. While each is about 2 hours, the mp4 is 647 MB and the m4v is 1.39 GB, so I assume I inadvertently chose different settings. Can anyone enlighten me on what I might have done so I can avoid making a mistake the next time.

Thanks

paul
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Subsequent recordings yield different formats: mp4 and m4v

Post by TedJ »

Without seeing activity logs for both encodes I can't be sure, but I suspect that you have in fact used two different presets to encode your two titles.

As to the .m4v rather than .mp4 suffix, .m4v is auto-selected if you use either embedded chapters or AC3 passthrough audio as it's required for these features to be recognised by Apple hardware and software players. Structurally, the files are identical.

As to preventing this from happening again... if you have found/made a preset that you always use, you can select it as the default from within the GUI.
paularenson

Post by paularenson »

Thank you.

paul
NickF

Post by NickF »

Are you sure they are different formats? I've noticed that there is a bug where handbrake uses the mp4 container when you add another job but the settings themselves are the same, you can fix it by just reselecting the profile.